Flatbed or dry van?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Travelworld2067, May 22, 2018.

1. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018
    If goal is to come to landstar with my own truck would there be better rates with standard 53 ft flatbed? Or with 53 ft dry van? Where would i make more over the course of 10 years? At landstar?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    More than likely over the long term Flatbed should have higher pennies per mile.

Depending on region, Van currently may yield more $ per day on more specialized freight.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    At Mercer.:D

cke Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Depends on the agents you hook up with. They can make you or break you. There is quite a bit of ugly over there.

cke Thanks this.
  6. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I have done both and to tell the truth when you add everything together they pay about the same . so it's what you want to do . I do dry van and have a few agents that I do most of my work for . for example I am headed into Vermont for Thursday this load I was in Indiana and called an agent that has loads coming out of where I was close to and called them 4 days before I was to deliver there and the agent knew that she had this load going in that direction but the details were not finalized but I took it so that load never made it to the load board. .... the Vermont agent has 2 to 4 loads coming out of there each week usually 1 per day I called and told him I would be up there Thursday and give me one ..... at the moment I do not know where it's going but it will be from Omaha to San Antonio and he will give me a call tomorrow and should give me a choice between 2 loads . and that gets me home for the weekend . now both of these loads pay good and neither made it to the load board . I have a few regular loads that I do that go around 6 to 12 times a year . I also have 1 customer that texts me a week or 2 ahead of time to make sure I have time to do his loads and we work out the scedule then call the agent to do the rate and honestly he charges more than I would lol but I do loads of the boards too but try to do loads that are landstar loads or at least ones I have done before . I have 95% of my hassles on the 20% of loads I do that are double brokered so I try to avoid them as much as possible and especially the loads that are listed by several agents and at 4 different prices that should tell you something. my feelings are it's not so much the loads you take that make you successful it's the ones you don't

Blu_Ogre Thanks this.
  7. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    This is major, Please read the above and commit to it like a very painful life lesson.

There are exceptions --- but those need to be learned. Like a Desperate shipping broker that has almost no assets for Haz/Tank and needs a truck, so they are trying to get a truck by posting the load every where.

8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    the easy way to tell those types of loads is the time left on the pickup if it's short on time it's probably a desperate agent and when it has a couple of days it's usually trouble. ... but my major problem with me on loads is unloading and loading time I am not patient with morons taking 3 hours to do a simple pull off . last load before Christmas was a load of pallets all the same item going from 1 plant to another plant from the same company. . well the pay was ok but they took 3 hours loading and almost 4 unloading and they were not busy at either end this wasted a whole day . I will get detention time on this but not enough to make up for a lost day ..... in general I will avoid loads with appointment times unless I know the load ( 7 or 8 am are usually ok ) early am appointments useually mean groceries and that means wasted time. now I do a lot of equipment moves and that requires time but usually I work that in with a 10 hr break. . those types of things you can understand taking time . I guess it boils down to what works for each individual. I have been doing this for awhile and I am 60 years old so not going to change unless I absolutely have too ... what is a bad load to me may be alright for someone else

Blu_Ogre Thanks this.
  9. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    One again well said.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.