flatbed parking

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bacon10, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Bacon10

Bacon10 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    ok so i have been running the dryvan game for a while and decided to hop over to flatbed.
    what is the best technique for backing into a parking spot.
    for me backing a flatbed is more difficult to park vs a dry van.

i know to use GOAL.
    what is the best angle and approach?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Pretty much the same process as backing a van. Only difference would be if you have a big single coil on or similar load with concentrated weight area &high center of gravity.

If this is the case try to back slowly with a less sharp angle and not lurch the truck. Creating to sharp an angle will drag the front axle if you have a 10-2 spread. If you have a dump valve use it.

Try not to overcomplicate it. And don't hit anything.

MACK E-6 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bacon10

Bacon10 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    im pulling 53 foot east spread axle. no dump valve.

5. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Remember the effective tailswing on a 53 spread trailer is a lot longer than you may be used to. If you are backing into a spot, the trailer will pivot on the front inside set of tires. Measure from there across the trailer to the far rear corner is the tailswing. You need to get most of the turning you are gonna be doing done before you start pushing the trailer into the spot between the trucks on each side. All that tailswing can cause you hit the truck on your passenger side easier than you would expect.

MACK E-6 and Truckermania Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

On a flatbed and tanker the best guidance comes from the tire sidewalls. BTW, the passenger side mirror gives a more accurate view if you are trying to be parallel with the lines on either side. If you parallel the line on the drivers side mirror you will be angled toward the driver side rather than parallel. When you are parallel to both lines, it looks like you are angled away from the driver side line in your driver side mirror.

7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    A dump makes it soooo much easier. Anytime my dump valve went bad, I hated backing it up. It's all what you get used to.

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pull through parking would be the best angle of approach, ya think?

stwik Thanks this.
  9. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Flatbedders don't back up. Ever need a good laugh try watching one bump a dock

10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I’m bad at parking. Takes me longer than dry vans. Longer than anyone. I keep my CB off because I don’t want to hear the ######## while I struggle... :)

Concorde and Short Fuse EOD Thank this.
  11. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    I had a gentlemen come up to me at Petro Rochelle one day asking me for backing tips. I later found out he pulled a 53 spread like myself... my best piece of advice for him?

Find that lonesome spot in the back, setup a straight line back, and put it dead center every time. No longer worry about being the super trucker in the front row, walk the extra 400 feet and never have another headache again.

In hindsight, I back at customers and job sites when the crane needs me in a certain spot. If I need to back blindside I'll open my sleeper door up and have a better viewing angle... other than that time and experience and some luck will help you out. Some days I can do it without thinking about it, other days I'll be lucky to put it center when I have 3-4 spots to work with....

91B20H8, SAR, Keith Lindsay and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.