flatbed questions pls

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Justin Sane, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    What'd the shipper end up saying about that load anyway?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Shipper was fine with it. They said they get one like that several times a year. Just a pain to offload. They put 2 forklifts on the down lean side to support it. Then I unstrapped the top half and they just grabbed them with the overhead crane like normal. I think the only reason they sent a picture to the broker is to mess with the shipper.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  4. Peelsession

Peelsession Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Sioux City, IA
    Good info. I'll look into that course myself.

Big part of driving is self-reliance, especially flatbedding. Seeking out info. is part of it.

What has helped me thus far is to give myself a break and realize I won't be as fast and efficient as I want to be...yet.

Triple check your securement, always secure over minimum requirements, enroute load checks, and pad those straps!

Pull bungees down away from your face and walk around truck checking you didn't leave anything.

Had an oh #### moment driving through Utah couple months back. Didn't recall putting winch bar away after enroute load check over 100 miles earlier. Hit rest area and found winch bar sitting on my cat walk!

Lepton1, Chewy352 and Iron-Man Thank this.
  5. Iron-Man

Iron-Man Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Get you some moving blankets for padding if you don't have any...I bought brand new tarps and ripped them on the first load I pulled...pissed me off but lesson learned

Lepton1 and Chewy352 Thank this.
  6. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    You'll have those moments no matter how long you drive, yesterday I left my tape measure lay on the beam and it was still there when I got to the job.

7. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Ya, but put your water cooler, coffee thermos, bag, logs, lunch on your pick-up tail gate and drive 600' from your house to the shop,,,, something will fall off. Go figure!

8. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    The ONLY "stupid" question is the one never asked. If someone in this segment of the industry says or eludes that a question you asked is stupid they need a reality check and one way ticket back to the door swinger forums. What may appear to the unknowing/uncaring as stupid may in fact cost you or someone else their life!

Or leave a winch bar ANYWHERE near a trailer, deck, load and it will fall off and completely disappear just opening the drivers door, no need to actually move the truck.

Zeviander, peterbilt_2005 and Chewy352 Thank this.
  9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Can day cabs run at night?

How's that one... LOL

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Onlu if driven by vampire bats!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.