Flatbed questions

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Bbattistoni, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Bbattistoni

Bbattistoni Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2022
    Hey guys, I am getting a flatbed truck, not an 18 wheeler, and I’m wondering how I can get started making money? Where do I look for work and is there a company that will hire me with the truck? Thanks in advance!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    With the proper hitches, maybe haul RV's

LameMule Thanks this.
  4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Does anyone ever make money hauling those? I looked into 20+ years ago and it wasn’t very good then.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    you talking about a 10 wheeler FB ?

LameMule and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I ran into a driver at some plant in northwestern Saskatchewan delivering a flatbed load. The place was so far away from the nearest town or stretch of asphalt that they gave us the map coordinates instead of the name of a town. The first thing I noticed was how small his fuel tanks were.

Ummm, hand…what kind of fuel capacity do you have with this rig?

“80 gallon.”

How are you going to make it out of here?

“I don’t know.”

Scary…
    Anyway, how do you spec a rig if you don’t know anything about any freight? Buying a truck and then trying to figure out the freight is a terrible idea. I’m not trying to be negative, hand, but @Allow Me. asked a question about the equipment. 10 wheel with a 24ftbed? 6 wheel? Dually pulling a trailer? You need to line the business up first before pulling the trigger on the equipment.

7. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Up there you don’t get an address. More often than not you get directions that involve various colours of surveyors tape tied in bushes, lightning struck trees and animal carcasses.

8. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    I’d research the “how to make money “ part before you buy the truck.
    What’s the truck cost ?
    How much is the insurance ?
    How much is the permits and license plates and taxes and MC and DOT numbers ?

do you have any connections with people who need cargo hauled ?

Or are you planning to use a broker ?

, figure out the how to make money part first

would you buy a restaurant and then post up questions on a website popular with cooks and waitresses and ask how to make money running a restaurant?

the business types are interchangeable in the above question .
    Welding shop ?
    Tire store ?
    Pet store ?
    Nail salon ?
    Without ever working at one to learn how the business works and how to make a profit doing it ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Sounds familiar. We give directions by local features....log bridges, rr car bridges, switchbacks with a certain kind of tree on the point, a wide spot where the grader spent all last summer parked, a burned out hunter's pickup, road along the south side of a creek, road along the north side of a creek, count two drainages past the north ridge above the clearcut.....easy stuff like that.
    We also have a couple of cans of Nelson's log marking paint in every truck to mark intersections and mile markers with.

10. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s the stuff right there. I do a lot of industrial hauling. Mines, hydro electric projects, oil patch construction, anything you’re liable to find in the middle of nowhere. My guys are on the old school rural navigation system a lot.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It's really fun when they start using time related or incident related directions...like, turn up the hill where Jerry turned over the Cat last year, no not that Cat, that was Tommy. Turn up the hill where the yellow ribbons are but watch out 'cause there's three roads coming down the hill. Take the one with the most faded ribbons.
    Start clearing the brush off that old landing above the creek with the RR bridge with the bad approach where we had the reload year before last. We want 2 million feet in there for a cold deck so slant it off away from the creek so the tree huggers don't find any stream siltation.
    We had a summer student, a forestry intern from the college, work with our road builders one summer. He spent all one weekend putting up mile markers on thirty miles the haul road. He used his own car, a Canadian Toyota Tacoma. Yep, all the distances were in kilometers when he was done but the guys never really minded much 'cause the kid worked so hard at it.
    My favorite is using a road grader for a mile marker 'cause some outfits never run the thing except to open up the road when they start and pull ditches and water bars when they finish. Other than that they never move. I had a my eye on a couple of those Cat '12s 'cause they were old but low houred but somebody beat me to them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.