Flatbed Terminology

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by BulletProof, Mar 1, 2013.

1. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Yellow Pages under tarps maybe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    When do you guys use your strobe lights? What do the regulations say?

4. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    I've had Sharp's Tarps for two years now and love them. I don't know where you are at but they are based out of Grant's Pass, OR.

5. caftransport

caftransport Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I see trailers for sale with pipe spools but can't figure out what they are. Google searches give nothing either. Any know or use them?

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Pipe spools are the pieces welded in between the rub rail and the outside frame of the trailer between stake pockets. They are round, but I have seen rectangle and angled ones.

7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I wish our trailers had pipe spools on them it would make it easier to chai things down. we just run stake pockets.

8. caftransport

caftransport Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I thought those were like a standard item since forever, they make it sound like it's something special LOLz. Thanks for the info.

9. killroy

killroy Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Kenner, La.
    this is meant as constructive criticism. Your whole tie down is wrong. The one on the front the hooks should be up higher on the rack like the next cross brace, and the wench is worthless like it is. Run a chain though there instead and have it pulling to the front, and you will be good to go.

Try this, their prices aren't bad. Tarpstop.com.

10. fr8wurx

fr8wurx Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lingle, WY
    Had a scary experience about a month back. Doing a short dedicated run for a couple weeks. Nice work hauling equipment mats. Saw several guys running it. The company was moving their yard out of state. There was a driver running all over asking every one questions. Some guys had time for him, others didnt. He came and told me that he has never driven a flatbed before but his boss told him it was easy and to take the load. He asked me if the truck he had on his deck was tied down right. he had the rear end chain wrapped around the 2' receiver ball and the front chains wrapped around the leaf springs. I almost cried. he had no hooks to attach to the frame so I showed him how to chain to the frame and welded bumper on the rear end. He was very appreciative of my help and thanked me profusely. I tended to my load and was preparing to leave when I saw him heading out. his chains were all loose and flopping in the wind. I tried to call him on the radio, tried to flag him down, I almost jumped in front of his truck. He drove on oblivious to me. I didnt have anything else I could do to stop him. He drove off drove the highway and I never saw him again. I just hope that he didnt kill any one when that truck came off his deck.

11. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx

Can you please explain why its worthless if the hooks aren't higher please. As mentioned in a later post, I use another chain in the rear replacing the wench, in this case, I was asking if I could get away without using it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.