Flatbed training?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jan 29, 2018.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Coming up on 5 years driving now. 3 as an owner/operator. I really enjoy where I'm at. I run under someone's authority for a set %.
    With that being said, I've always had an interest in doing flatbed, just always ran vans. I talked to the "boss" and he is on board.

All the excitement training materials I have seen seem to be about 1-3 hours of material/classes. JJ Keller and such.

Is there really so little learning material, and it's mostly practical application? Or am I missing something?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I bought a flatbed, never pulled one in my life... I had a conestoga kit installed, so tarpping was not an issue. I taught myself, JJ Keller securement book so I would not run afoul of the law and hit the road. Never had any issues, just used commonsense and tended to over secure.

4. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    That's what I figured. Even places like TMC, and others, only seem to spend a couple hours teaching and a few days practicing...

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I would say tarping properly is the big issue with flat bedding. The reason I bought the conestoga kit, which paid for itself in short order as I could secure very good rates. There are many products out the that cannot, or should not be tarped but need to be, that can only be hauled on a flat bed. I ran quite a bit of robotics and controls, along with some high dollar molds and tools. I could not haul over dimensional or other type things, but who cares when you get triple or more on the rate. ;-)

Nothereoften, swaggerjacker and 201 Thank this.
  6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Is the Conestoga water tight? Can it be ran open?

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    It was 99.9% water tight, you may get some water at the very rear of the trailer in a hard driving ran, but not enough to worry about. And, I have seen guys run them open, but I had to much invested to do that. But yes, it can be done, but I would not recommend.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Here is the setup I had... Black with a clear roof. Flatbed Tarps

Very nice units, and their side rail system was indestructible, unlike other outfits which were easily damaged. You could hit the side of my trailer all day with a 2 ton forklift and it would not even scratch the rail the rollers ran on.

Dino soar and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    I know with vans, some companies get picky about trailer age. Like 5 years or newer.
    Is flatbed the same?

What's the deal with spread axles?
    Fixed vs one axle slide vs both sliding, etc

10. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Normally it is ten years for vans, GM is big on that. The spread is the only way to go on a flat, you can legally go up to 40,000 lbs back there, vs 34,000 with a tandem. Then you have aluminum, combo (steel frame/Aluminum deck) and all steel trailers. Depends on what you are hauling and budget. I went with a combo unit, as I was rarely at gross. Most of the stuff I hauled was expedite, lighter stuff, robotics, controls, car wash equipment, all sorts of odd ball stuff. I did quite a bit of LTL work with it too depending on where I was in the country. It was a money maker for sure. I could never have done what I did with a regular flat bed.

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.