Flatbed training?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jan 29, 2018.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014

I know flatbed season is winding down. But the problems that I have are not as widespread in the flatbed industry. The difference in spot markets for van vs flat and the ability to grow into HH is my main reason for moving.
    Secondary reasons are fuel efficiency of my w9, more exercise, and the future of extending my sleeper (already at 295 wb)

cke, TripleSix and JonJon78 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What's your 20, hand? And if you don't mind, could you post a pic of that 295wb W9?

In your green and white bible, go to section 393.100 and familiarize yourself with the tiedown regs. There is a picture thread in the flatbed forum. Review the pics. Are you ready?

The purpose of securement is to prevent any movement of the cargo. Forward and back, side to side, and up and down. If the load shifts, it is improper load securement. Plain and simple. No excuses whatsoever for any kind of shifting. If you agreed to haul it, you should secure it to the best of your ability and stake your Man Card on your securement job.

The regs states that your securement has to cover 1/2 the weight of the cargo. Your chains and straps will be either tagged or stamped with a WLL (working load limit). So, if you are getting a 40000 load of 20 ft pipe and your straps are rated at 5000lbs, your securement has to cover 1/2 or 20000lbs. So, you would need a minimum of 4 straps to cover the legal ends. You need to have, according to the regs 2 straps within the first 10 ft (headerboard rule...but I am trying to be brief) and 1 strap for every 10 ft or fraction after. Easiest way to figure that out is take the first number out of the length of the load and add 2. A 50ft piece would require 7 straps (5+2=7).

You mentioned HH. Be sure to learn the difference between direct and indirect securement. Also, when you get stopped for the weekend, go to a full service truckstop with a real restaurant and look for your OSOW crowd. They are usually more than happy to walk you around a trailer and give you some pointers.

If you need help, post a pic of the load in this forum. Someone WILL help you.

Luck in battle.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

I’m.Also here for a picture of your truck

snowman_w900, cke, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I apologize. Yes my post is standard boilerplate for those who are company drivers.

No offense intended. That pretty much renders my post moot because you know what's best for your business and operate on a totally different plane than just a company driver.

Maybe it's my ethic that got in the way today. Peace to you and your home. Catch you on flip side next time I guess.

cke and RollinThunderVet Thank this.
  6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
  7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    It's all good.. it's the internet. I dont take much personal.

snowman_w900, cke, PoleCrusher and 2 others Thank this.
  8. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    She looks just fine to me! Looks like ya got a friendly watchdog there too.

Have you found an open deck company willing to lease you on?

snowman_w900, x1Heavy, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  9. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    The company I'm with has a few open decks. Mostly vans.
    Yea shes my shotgun buddy.

10. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Nice. That ride looks like it was made to pull open deck.

SAR, snowman_w900, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'm liking the air cans on the left front of firewall. You would think there is one on the other side as well....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.