flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    I'm planning on starting into O/O trucking as an experienced business owner, but as a new OTR driver, while maintaining my profitable current, unrelated business that requires little of my time.

I've been lurking and researching, but am unsure whether to buy a 53' van or a 48' flatbed with a rolling tarp system. I can't see my old ### getting on top and tarping as I'm not so comfortable with heights above, say 10'. On the other hand, if I have a conestoga type set up, that would eliminate tarping altogether, right?

so, I've been thinking that I could start out with, say a $10,000 used air ride dry van, which is decidedly less expensive than a comparable 48' x 102" skateboard, especially equipped with a $14k tarp system.

I will likely pay cash for a tractor with about 500k on it. Not likely a Ken or Pete, but a Freight liner or possibly an international. I'm thinking a DD15 or possibly a DD13 with a 13 speed, that can be rebuilt when necessary by a decent small time mechanic (not me), not an uber expensive major fleet repair facility.
    I also get that maybe a 3.36 up to about a 3.55 would be likely a good rear end ratio for overall pulling and economy blend. Does that sound about right?

I was going to get my own authority right off the bat, since I've had a DOT number since 2002 (like maybe that would help my insurance rate), but since have come to the conclusion to sign on to a Land Star or small carrier paying 80%, as I have learned the insurance rates are substantially less for o/o leasing on, rather than own authority. As for self dispatching, I've been in business for 30 years and can negotiate as well as anybody I've met. DAT seems to simplify finding loads and comparing moving averages and other criteria.
    Gotta lov that!

If any of you guys or industrious gals have thoughts, particularly on flat bed vs. dry van, the ups and downs (pun intended) and whether a different type of tractor is needed for one over the other, please speak up. I've got money, but not so much that I would spend say 70k, if I can spend 50k and still get the job done.
    What year of truck for around $32k - $42k give the best bang for the buck at today's used rates, given someone who shops and has cash in hand?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If ur scared of heights dont do flatbed. Even if ur not tarping, there is times u still need to be on top of the load and they can be as high as 13'6 but thats where ur feet are. If ur 6ft tall then ur looking almost 20 ft down and most of the times no securement to keep u from falling. . if i had all that money u was talking about, i would put it elsewhere especially since u claim to be a business man u should have found better ways to make money

ChevyCam, dunchues and Western flyer Thank this.
  4. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I appreciate your answer. Flat bed isn't for me, in that case. I am 6', but very small in terms of a business man's pocket book. However, I don't think having money disqualifies me from driving. Sometimes its nice to be able to make a decision to do something because I have the money to allow me the freedom to do it, and not have to do it. that may not make sense to most people, but I'm as much adventure seeker as I am up for a new challenge. Do you know anybody that wants to trade a rig for my Cataline C30' diesel powered sailboat?

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I do flatbed and I seldom stand on freight. And as far as I know, the only reason that you would be on top of stuff that is nearly 13'6" tall is to tarp it, so you should be ok with a conestoga.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Several years of flatbedding. Never been on top of a load I wasn't tarping. I guess it could be possible. But would be rare at best. IMO

jamespmack and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Be careful with your truck and trailer weight if you go flatbed with a conestoga type tarping system. You need to be able to scale 48,000# if doing flatbed.
    If you get, say a mid roof Freightliner, you will have a little more leeway on your trailer weight. If you get a heavier truck you will need to go with a light weight aluminum trailer so you can handle the extra weight of the tarp system and still haul 48,000 which is what a lot of shippers try to ship.

As far as flatbed or van, flatbed will usually pay better. I own and pull both.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Couple random thoughts from someone who has owned trucks for 24 years.
    1. It is very difficult for a one truck operation to make money with a dry van, just way to much competition from guys willing to run for peanuts.
    2. Conestoga tarp systems are really cool. They also limit your freight options.
    3. You'd have to try really hard to find a worse place for freight than Florida.
    4. Landstar won't sign you on. They require experience.

9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Welp that pretty much covers it.

jamespmack and SavageMuffin Thank this.
  10. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Ok. I see. So, even placing your truck where the best freight is based on posted loads, you're saying you can't have 9 or $10,000 weeks (gross of course) with a dry van? I understand that not $3.00 per mile loads aren't going to be common for long runs. The guys who I follow, (just a small hand full) average around $2.30 when they show their monthly breakdown to the truck. Is that not your experience? Naturally, markets change, sometimes from one week to the next.

What do you usually haul? Knowing what you know now, if you were able to haul exactly what you wanted to (maybe you can) with your extensive history as a trucker, what would you haul and what truck would you buy for a first time, used truck (say under 45k). I am actually thinking about buying an older, say 2005 truck for 10-15k and putting another 12k or so into it, but I'm not sure the best approach to get a truck that will make me the most money and cost me the least headaches. it's a balance, for sure.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    9 to 10k a week? Those are extremely rare weeks, most guys will go their whole life and never have a week like that. 2.30 a mile average on decent miles with a dry van? Very few are doing that, maybe the top 1% of the top 1%.

based on your previous post my opinion is you dont understand the reality of trucking markets.

jamespmack, D.Tibbitt, DUNE-T and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.