Flatbed vs Step Deck for So. Cal based o/o

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by The Challenger, May 27, 2012.

1. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Hi guys,

I have a friend of mine based out of So. Cal who pulls reefers under his own authority and is thinking about switching over to a flatbed to start out in the winter to see if he can make some more money. Questions he has:

1. Would it be beneficial to start out under his own authority or run under a company like Landstar or Mercer
    2. How much would the equipment be for someone starting out
    3. Which type and length of trailer would you run if you were based out of So. Cal
    4. If he were to go under his own authority, would company offer flatbed securement classes

Any advice is appreciated. I am hoping experienced members like WCP, MMM, and SHC might be able to give some good advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Unless he has some contacts that will provide him with loads, he would probably be better to lease on somewhere, but maintain his authority. I don't really know how the big guys do off the West Coast. Seems like I have read a couple posts about Mercer and Landstar drivers getting out of California. Maybe that would be his best option...relocate!

The Challenger Thanks this.
  4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Cpape,

He will not relocate. I suggested Landstar to him. Sammons could be another option being that they are based out of MT. I just want to see him succeed. Appreciate the input.

My next question would be to the Landstar and Mercer guys,

How are the loads coming in/out S. Cal.

KH

5. DMH

DMH Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Mercer has a west coast board or something like that I think. Dont know what kind of money they make though. I would talk to alot of people if I was him.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  6. Displaced Yooper

Displaced Yooper Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I have a couple friends running flats, not stepdecks, for mercer. The consensus I get from them is that loads going into Cali pay decent, but they get raped trying to get out. Usually containers paying barely passable rates.

7. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    So if reloaction is not an option, maybe running Western 11 is an option. Just a thought...

I really don't know enough about the Left Coast.

8. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    deleted post ...

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    The loads coming out that pay well are few and far between, He would be better off with the reefer as that is the better paying gig there. I have seen some good paying loads that were coming into So Cal area by ship not come into the area anymore, they moved to WA. Everything getting hauled out of and inside there seems to be right around the 1.75 cpm range and that isnt good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.