Flatbed vs step deck

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by grizzlyjim, Jan 24, 2016.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    NO!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    just as someone already mentioned... years ago. I had a nice dedicated run twice a week to g.r. MI. reload right back home. rear load/ rear unload. could not of got that run with a step. made quite a bit of good money that year. could not of got on that gravy train with a step.

4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    No, not everything. But alot of things.

Attached Files:

Hurst Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm honestly not 100% sure.

I was looking and comparing Fontaine trailers early last year,.. the Infinity vs the Revolution all aluminum and I vaguely recall there was about a 2000lb difference. The Infinity I have now has a 11,400 lb tare weight. Its considerably more right now with all my gear and ramp kit etc.

The issue I have with the Revolution is the way they have the nail boards and the over all deck design seems like I would destroy it in short order putting track machines on it.
    I was very hesitant to put them on my Infinity,.. I started out with small excavators with the softer metal tracks. Then small dozers to eventually larger machines that actually max out my legal weight. I was pleasantly surprised. The Infinity has held up very well. I dont see the Revolution surviving the same treatment.

Currently looking seriously at Rhodes and Benson. Rhodes is kinda pricey, but read good things about them. Benson is a bit more affordable but a lot of people posting about the frame cracking near the rear suspension on Benson trailers. So still doing my research before I make a definitive choice.

Going to go one of 2 ways,.. looking at picking up a pre 2000 379 and putting the aluminum step behind it and possibly putting a driver in this truck. Or my carrier has offered to buy this truck back and I'll see what kind of trade in value they offer for my Infinity,.. or I'll just hold on to it as a spare until someone offers me a good price.

Thats cross road I am currently at. Not quite financially ready to move on it. Things have slowed quite a bit since Nov. Was hoping to have the money ready by April,.. but with how things are now,.. unless it picks up,.. it may be late summer before I can financially swing it.

As for the C15 vs 12.7,.. no idea. But I would think its safe to say the CAT is considerably heavier than the 12.7 Detroit. I've seen Columbia's like mine with the S60 in them and there is a noticeable different in size between them. The CAT looks taller and stuffed in there. The Detroit seems to have more room around it.

Hurst

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Heck yeah,.. looks like something I would haul.

Unfortunately I only have the stake adapters to make 2 load levelers. I'd have to buy 4 more to utilize my other 2 ramps as load levelers. In the last 2 years I can only remember using both levelers for 3 loads. Normally just one is all thats needed.

Hurst

rank Thanks this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Thanks Hurst

Your always a wealth of cut to the chase knowledge and also enjoy your postings.

Is that a Doberman pup on the pillow or is that your Rottweiler .

If the Rottweiler certainly some long legs on it.

Hurst Thanks this.
  8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    weight difference? 1,000 lbs or less compared to a modern combo with high strength steel beams.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    2017 fontaine revolution 53-102 all alum #9,824

2017 fontaine infinity 53-102 combo #11,914

Neither has boxes, or piles of tarps, or ramps, or levelers on them yet.

SoDel, tommymonza, Hurst and 2 others Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi Ruthless.....is the revolution or aluminum or other composite?

11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cat c-15 is 600 lbs more than a Detroit.
    The reason a step is better it is easier for a old fat driver to climb on, then as you get older you get a dd .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.