Flatbed with no arch or curve

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Schaefer, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How often are you shipping your product? Is it possible for your company to order and purchase the exact trailer you need and then just hire a truck for power only? You’d have to pay round trip weight because you could load a backhaul on a flat trailer.

A Conestoga trailer would still have arch. I suggested a dry van but didn’t know you required a crane.

Dino soar, cke, Schaefer and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Schaefer

Schaefer Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Purchasing our own trailer seems like a good idea to me, the components aren't shipped often, maybe once or twice in a year and they are being shipped for refurbishment so the trailer could stay with them and be returned to us upon completion of the refurb as long as we didn't have to ship multiple sets at different times, that seems to be the most cost effective method to me. Thanks

4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    That or have a flat platform built that can be set on an arched flatbed. Would still have to pay round trip, and the height of the load could then become a problem if the load is tall.

Edit to add: Perhaps your load could be mounted to this skid and the skid left with the load until ready to return.

Wheeljack, npok, pushbroom and 8 others Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Buy a 53' container and chassis, cut the top out and add a roll tarp. Guys haul scrap in them around here. Cheap.

ChevyCam, 86scotty, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  6. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Then again, if it was me just buy the container and let some cheap container company provide chassis. Load it on your time in the container and have multiples. Set on truck and go.

ChevyCam, D.Tibbitt, pushbroom and 5 others Thank this.
  7. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    A rear dump used for scrap would work. Open top so you can use a crane to load and unload. Some are equipped with hooks to secure coils. Try contacting a local scrap metal carrier.

cke and Schaefer Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Wanna spend money call Nelson trailers on Ohio. They will build anything. Put container locks in the floor and engineer you product frame to accept them. Guarantees its secured to your standards. A flat floor trailer can be built. Not sure if you would find one to buy however.

Still see no reason that it can not be supported with dunage.

Lysdexis, D.Tibbitt, pushbroom and 2 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

You ever see a 48' flat floor dump trailer? Tipper trailer maybe, but a 48' dump is rather specialized multi axle trailer.

Roll top Vans can be bought or built too.

kylefitzy, pushbroom and cke Thank this.
  10. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    You looking more for a lumber or roof truss flat bed.

cke Thanks this.
  11. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Flatbed trailers can be ordered with zero arch. I order mine with a relaxed arch, which is like an inch and a half total instead of three, five, or 6 inch arch.

just saying.

larry2903, Wheeljack, 1johnb and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.