Flatbeddin' with good ole' Western Express

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by BusyVixen, Jun 11, 2011.

1. BusyVixen

BusyVixen Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    As a precursor allow me to state that I had been debating with myself for a period of months as whether or not I should start this thread. I'd been researching the Western Express posts for quite some time and could not find a single in-depth review of one's experience as it pertained to flatbed and the company itself, let alone a FEMALE'S perspective at that. So here goes a simple newbs attempt to unmuddy some waters at least for any inquisitive ladies, who may be thinking of exploring life outside of the van with this particular company.

June 4th marked my official two month anniversary with this company, and so far we are definitely still on the honeymoon. Taking it back to the first day I said I do would be at the orientation held in Nashville, Tn which I was able to attend courtesy of Greyhound during the first week of April. The orientation kind of reminds you of a massive job fair where groups of 30 people furiously rush to sign packets of papers to advance to the next step in the interview process. You learn over the phone from your recruiter that the starting pay will be crap, and that you won't be paid for orientation, but it's at the orientation that you learn that will be compensated $25.00 for each day of cargo securement training that you attend. What a pleasant surprise:biggrin_25519: Orientation takes two days for which you are placed in a hotel, and if you kiss enough ### it will be the best of the three. In case you are wondering how you get from place to place, there are shuttles that will take you anywhere you need to be and run until 2:00CT. During the orientation (which is held in the training building) a bunch of suits will come in explain the company, and the various processes you will go through, pretty much round about standard stuff that you've heard before. Western is one of those vain companies that seemingly is able to seperate itself from it workforce and as such it takes pleasure in looking good but treating its main breadwinners like crap (I say this with love), this is further evidenced by the impressive home terminal, the expensive daily lunches, and the brand new equipment, but mostly all of the grunts around the place are really miserable lol. After all the paperwork and the lectures you get the road test and basically no ever fails because either you come in as experienced or are going out with a trainer. For those that choose van, you will be finished and on the road (hopefully) with new equipment by day two. For the rest us in flatbed, it's on to load securement. You will learn absolutely nothing here except the absolute minimum to pass their tests if you are new. Needless, to say I passed everything but decided to go with mentor for a week even though I was offered the opportunity to have my own truck that same day what can I say? I'd never done flatbed before and wasn't confident in my knowledge.:biggrin_25512:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MD STEELERS FAN

MD STEELERS FAN Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Perryman Md
    Please keep us posted on your progress.. Such as mileage, hometime,and idling.

TnVols Trucking and nckid Thank this.
  4. BusyVixen

BusyVixen Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I completed my training with my mentor in 11 days and was unleashed into the world. That was a month ago, immediately I was assigned a brand new 2011 Freightliner and so far so good. The culture is really laid back and my dispatcher is cool so far. I have been moving non stop and 98% of the time I have a preplan before I get unloaded which is great. My longest sitting time waiting for a load was 4 hours, but from what I hear it really depends on the dispatcher you have. They are very good on equipment and keeping it maintained so no problems there. Routing is pretty much a suggestion and the tarp and oversize pay sucks but it what it is. All in all it is a decent company and they don't ##### unless you provide them a reason to. Whenever I have needed to get home I have found that providing the dispatcher with adequete time will get you there (2 weeks) so there have been no problems with that yet. The pay could be better and you really have to scrutinize your statements (because they conveniently forget to pay on somethings) but so far I'm happy. :biggrin_25525:

I will include all pertinent info as requested along with some pics. Hope you find it useful.

MAY 2011 Loaded
    Week 1 2,500 2,300
    Week 2 3,000 2,900
    Week 3 2,700 2,550
    Week 4 2,900 2,760

Idling? That's easy, it's hot. So I idle whenever I feel the need to. Have any questions or comments feel free to reply I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

Attached Files:

5. TDriver4Life

TDriver4Life Medium Load Member

Thanks for the update BusyVixen. I have often thought about Western Express' flatbed division but was never too sure about them. They are a carrier you seem to hear more negative than good. I do have a few questions if you're able to answer them?

1. Home time policy? 3 weeks out isn't?
    2. Anything special about the trucks or are they just plain jane, any type of anti-idle device?
    3. Do they have a toll road policy, such as which ones are you allowed or not?

Much obliged.

6. MD STEELERS FAN

Jun 18, 2010
    Perryman Md
    Thanks for the info. Truck looks great. Is there alot room in there? Are you alowed an inverter? Where do you mainly run? Thanks again ahead of time.

7. BusyVixen

BusyVixen Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey folks, sorry for the delay headed to Fulton, MS with a load of copper. To answer the question TD overall so far things have been very good for me and I am satisfied so much so that I willing to overlook the pay. The hometime policy is standard one week equals a day, 2 weeks is the minimum though. No one is going to look out for your hometime or money like you so even though they have been good with it so far I stay on top of my dispatcher about when I am supposed to be home and he respects that. One time I was scheduled to be home by a certain day and they ran me within the same state and neighboring one for an entire week to make sure that I got home, so I had to give them the kudos that they deserved. But, remember that things can always change. The trucks are all new 2011 and 2012 Freightliners and Internationals, and all have an anti-idling device set at temperature has to be less than 40 degrees or more than 70 degrees (I think that is becoming the standard). And they do have a EZ Pass/PrePass for anything east of the midwest line. Further west you pay tolls and are reimbursed (or be like me and take the back roads around the tolls) they are very liberal with the routing so long as the drivers don't abuse it. Thanks for the compliment MD, to be honest with these newer trucks they are more compact. Although my truck is a flatop it has the inside style of a condo and because it is more compact in design it allows for much more room. I love it, the technology has been updated inside the cab so that makes it even better. We are allowed inverters but no greater than 400watts (some drivers in the past have burned down some equipment due to ghetto hotwire system to the battery so now we were only allowed inverters no greater than 400watts) It really isn't an inconvenice though becuase these new trucks have outlets everywhere. Lastly, I mainly run south east, west and midwest; have yet to touch east coast with this company and I hope I never do (keeping fingers crossed) so I love it. :biggrin_25519:

Last week I averaged 3,200 miles, 300 of which were empty. My idling average was at 64 percent. (Arizona and New Mexico were surprisingly cool temperature wise)

Attached Files:

8. MD STEELERS FAN

Jun 18, 2010
    Perryman Md
    So how you doing Busy Vixen?

9. Heirforce1

Heirforce1 Medium Load Member

May 16, 2011
    The Windy City
    From my memory of Western Express back in 06' it had a great flatbed division and the numbers posted in this thread in relation to weekly miles driven seems to be on par with my records here. The hometime was great, the equipment was fairly close to the current yr (back then) and the freight was more than consistent. I ran all over the country though from the pacific northwest as far up as CT in the east. My dispatcher was great and since my time management was on point I was almost always under a load. Only had 1x missed hometime due to planner mistake otherwise I say they're a great company and I know that's rare to hear on this forum. Best of luck with the job and any prospective "noobs" looking to get on with them.

MD STEELERS FAN and HanktheTank Thank this.
  10. beejay334

beejay334 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2010
    brundidge,usa
    What is starting pay for a van at w.e. Thxs?

11. 2009GMC

2009GMC Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Are you dispatched out of Birmingham? I like the idea of staying out of the northeast. Do you know what they pay experienced drivers? I hear they pay per diem but I don't really understand it. How does it affect your check? Are the insurance benefits any good?:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.