flatbedding, tough group to get into?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jimmy T, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Southwest MI
    I am a student at a 3 week cdl school in MI. I have had my heart set on flatbedding for a while now, but am having trouble getting a second look from the companies I have applied to. Granted I may not be your typical student, I am 48 years old, but I have been in construction for nearly 30 of those 48 years so I'm not afraid of physical work. I am scheduled to test this Thursday. I don't want to go with just anybody but I have a line on what seems to be a decent dry van/reefer company. I am thinking about doing my obligatory year and a day there while I keep an eye, and ear, out for the "perfect flatbed job". I am hoping the year of OTR experience will make me more attractive to a flatbed company. Who knows maybe the small family owned company will turn out to be a good fit. I just like the idea of being proud of what you're hauling and not hiding it in a big ole box. I also welcome the physical aspect of flatbedding. I realize I'm not really asking a question here, I guess I'm just venting a bit of frustration to someone who prolly understands.

Thanx for listenin'

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wallens05

Wallens05 Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Columbus OH
    Try TMC there an all flattbed company

Yosam Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Maverick also trains, as I recall. I believe that Swift also has a flatbed division. Prime has flats but I would not waste my time with them. They might be all right if you stay away from their lease programs.

5. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    As does pgt fltbed companies that train are around though some are better than others

6. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Southwest MI
    I applied to TMC, was pretty geeked about all those black, chromed out, peterbuilts. They also have a very good reputation for thier load securement training program. I was told my application was rejected:biggrin_2552:but when I asked why they wouldn't give me any information. I thought if there was a question about anything i would be glad to try and clarify, but they just said maybe I could re-apply in 6 months or so. I plan to stay where I start for a minimum of 1 year, so maybe I'll try again then. Maverick, I believe, has no rider policy, and something turned me off about PGT when I was researching them. I have looked at Tandem Transport (Michigan City) and Modular (Grand Rapids) also. I am wondering about how important it is to be located near the terminal, it's prolly more important if you're flatbedding than pulling a reefer/dry van. Lonestar looked pretty good to me too, but not so close to my home (southwest Michigan)

7. Rodneylh

Rodneylh Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Bonham, TX
    Maverick does have a rider policy for immediate family only. And it doesn't cost anything. But it is ONLY immediate family.

8. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Where you live could have been the problem with TMC. Michigan presents issues for come companies. Being above all East-West routes and surrounded by water, means not a lot of loads pass through the state to get you home. That being said, I believe they have a more rigid idea of what their driver should be. You may have to be a little more flexible about the companies you are looking at. From everything I know, Maverick would be a very good company to start with. Tossing them out for a no rider policy seems a little picky. Most companies aren't going to let you take a passenger more than once every 3-6 months anyway.

Good luck with the search.

aiwiron and Jimmy T Thank this.
  9. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Jimmy, my two tin pennies worth is for you to get on with a small carrier who will train you and TRUST you. You seem mature; have age, experience, and hopefully common sense on your side. If your heart is set on flatbedding don't even consider slaming doors........

I grew up in a trucking family; have never done anything BUT open deck work. Don't settle for a job you may hate and get discouraged in......

Jimmy T Thanks this.
  10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm not sure how far southwest michigan you are, but Roehl might be a good fit for you. They were running a triangle from WI to MI to KY back to WI. Nice place to get some experience and if you go in with an open mind you can learn a lot. Not sure you'll earn a lot but who knows you're experience may be differnt, or maybe hometime is your thing.

Jimmy T Thanks this.
  11. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I wasn't thinking about Roehl. I think they do a good job with new drivers, and are focused on safety. They would be another good one to check out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.