flatbeds

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ace 98, Jun 26, 2007.

1. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think TMC is better and I say that as a TMC employee never having worked for Maverick. They are two simular companies, pay wise and training. The major difference is waiting to go to school once you are accepted. With TMC it will be the next Monday, with Maverick it will be weeks to months. Everything else being equal, I would rather be earning money rather than waiting on a phone call.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    There are only 3 flats I would consider in this order. mav, wvt, and tmc. I work for mav and looked in to the other 2. I am happy with mav. One thing that I hear a lot of tmc guys say is that they have nicer trucks. Their trucks are nice, but I loaded beside one in tx a while back and I would have to say to me my truck was just as sharp looking as his truck and I think mav was my best offer.

4. Jester_Jess

Jester_Jess Bobtail Member

May 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am a big guy, I am about 6'3'', and I think I weighed in at 340 when I got my physical. I have been driving for a regional flat bed company for about 4 months now. I have had only one load that gave me issues, and that was due more to the smaller 46' trailer I had, and the load size.
    They loaded me with plywood head board to the end of the trailer, and it was as high as my chest. The wood also went right to the edge of the trailer on both sides, left just enough room for the toe of my boots.
    They dropped my tarps on top with the forklift, but getting on top of the load was a little hairy. Once I was up there I was fine, easy to tarp, but of course getting down was well not fun. :biggrin_25521:
    Other than this, most all of my loads have been not that hard, or scary to handle. As far as excercise goes, I find I get more dusty and dirty than anything. Not soo much tierd or sweaty.

5. wolfpack396

wolfpack396 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2007
    four oaks nc
    I drive for boyd bros need to look at them. As far a TMC I wouldn't................. they worry about
    there trucks not miles look at me I drive a peterbuit

6. sandman

sandman Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2007
    here or there
    If exercise is what you're after....flatbedding is the right place to be. Try to work for a company that hauls a lot of lumber or something that needs to be tarped.

Nuttin like rolling your black tarps on a hot Mississippi day just to have to flop your 8 footers on your reload.
    :biggrin_255:

TMC drivers are so high strung. We were loading in St Louis and we pulled in first to get loaded and 2 TMC trucks followed and they were yelling and getting on the phone just cuz they wouldn't load them in front of us. That's bull. They care more about looks then miles. If we weren't o/o we definitely wouldn't go with TMC.

7. sevastian

sevastian Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    St Petersburg, FL
    Thank you so much for the heads up. I would hate to get with someone who is only worried about their trucks. Need to be worried about their drivers too.

8. sevastian

sevastian Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    St Petersburg, FL
    LOL, thats great! I love it! Thank you so much for your reply. Everyone on here is to nice, I just love it. We all looking out for each other.

9. sevastian

sevastian Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    St Petersburg, FL
    :biggrin_25511: Just getting some out of the truck time is nice. Thank you everyone for your input. It has helped SO much. I am still really nervous about getting my CDL and driving. But I will conquer that fear soon enough. It runs in my family. ;-) I hope to make lots of new friends on my journey.

10. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

i'll be honest....i'v only ever run a skate board for davis trans

tmc....yeah i dont have time to wash my truck every week weather i want to or not and at times its not practical....ie runnin into storms, but petes are cool, anouther bad would be the highway singles they run

boyd...i havent heard much about them except the one guy who would talk to me was happy

maverick...only bad i see is the frieghtliners (personal prefernce thing), and they hual glass in one of the divisions

as for where i work....company drivers are underpaid( .30 to .37 cpm i think), run decent kw t800's and normally have some old pos tandem trailer behind them, only hafta tarp about once a week, and normally have no problem finding the miles to run

thats about it for my two cents worth....and believe me i think im gettin overpaid...lol

11. sevastian

sevastian Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    St Petersburg, FL
    Prime in Springfield, MO? Have you heard anything about them? They called me yesterday. They have a pretty good setup. Just wondering. primeinc.com
    if you wanna take a peek.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.