Flaw in the Split Sleeper Berth Rule

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by 201773, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Duaneh1

Duaneh1 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Always log sleeper when doing your 10 hour or 34 reset.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Why?

Off duty achieves the same thing and helps ensure that you won't get a logbook violation for getting out of your truck and walking your dog while logged as SB. I haven't logged a minute in the SB in YEARS and never had a violation for it. I know some disagree with me on this, but if you walk your dog (as I do) and DOT checks your logs and shows you as SB, that is an automatic OOS violation for falsifying of a logbook. Staying with simply "off duty" can ensure this isn't a problem. To anyone saying "well just go to off duty before going walk your dog" that's not easy when the #### Elog has a 6 hour timer and is OFF when you get up and your dog is dancing by the door needing to go. Unless DOT wants to come clean up dog piss while I'm waiting for the elog to turn back on and boot back up to the home screen and she couldn't hold it, then I'm going to do it my way.

I also would have logged SB had I been doing it "normally" the night I got shot. You dont want to get caught on the ground shot 6 times logged in as SB. The DOT will write you a ticket before calling an ambulance for ya.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  4. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    "Why" would be to solve the split sleeper problem that was post number ONE in this thread... And since you "haven.t logged a minute of SB in YEARS" I dont know why you even bothered to respond...

Another Canadian driver and flood Thank this.
  5. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    Because someone said "always log SB when doing your 10 and 34" and I showed that it's not needed. Unless you NEED split sleeper. I've never needed it.

And if you need it you can always go back and edit off duty to SB.

6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    If you were in the sleeper. It's a log violation. Just as much as you say taking the dog out for a potty break. So pretty much the officers let you slide. Just like they would the driver with the dog.

7. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    No it's not, they would have to prove it. I could say I slept in a tent behind the truck. They can't prove otherwise. The only reason you need to use SB is if you're doing a split. I also do it because the stupid Omnitracs box will turn itself off after a while and if I put SB and get up to go to the bathroom or walk my dog, I now either have to violate my log book or I have to wait 10 minutes for the thing to power on when I turn on the key. It's not worth the trouble.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  8. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    So when they Walk up to you as you get out of the truck at the truck stop and say let's go look at your logs. Which show you were in the truck on off duty. Or they ask you to show them the tent.

Yeah. Not buying the manure you are trying to shovel. But on a positive note. It would make great fertilizer.

9. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    I don't have to show them the tent. I could have said I gave it back to the driver who loaned it to me.

They have to prove I violated. I don't have to prove I didn't.

Look, I've had my logs audited more than once by more than one safety person in more than one company I worked for and nobody has ever said what I did was a violation. In fact, when I mention to them that I am in and out of the truck constantly to walk my dog they agree, off duty is best for me. That covers whether or not I'm sleeping or not.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  10. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    so basically all you are saying is you run illegal. But YOUR illegal is the right thing to do. SMH

But let us be clear. Yes you do have to prove you didn't break the law. As you are alone w/o a tent. With logs that show you broke the law. Same reason a person has to supply an alibi when evidence shows a crime. So your logs show the crime. It is then your responsibility to supply a defense.

11. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    You don't have to prove anything.

Even though you might not believe it, this country is still innocent until proven guilty. Off duty is off duty. As long as I've been relieved of all duty of the truck, I am off duty. DOT will not come onto private property and start asking about DOT logbooks so they have no way of proving where I spent the night.

Another Canadian driver and alds Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.