Fld120 Hood replacement.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by xsetra, Nov 14, 2022.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Can a 1995 hood be put on a 1999.
    Same model. Except the hoods have different closing assist springs.

The 1995 maroon hood has a spring mounted in front of radiator between frame rails.

The 1999 red hood has the spring mounted on the hood near the open end that closes near windshield.

I checked the holes in maroon hood for nuts in center beam, nothing inside to fasten bolts.

Can I cut the center hood beam off of red hood and slide into beam of maroon hood, without compromising structural integrity.

My 2nd option is to drill holes thru the hood and put aluminum plates on top and inside to fasten spring assembly.

Thanks for your input.

IMG_20221113_144426351.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think you’ll have to cut the bottom brackets off the 99, and weld them onto the 95. Eliminate the old center bracket and flat bars. As far as the springs, any way you can get them hooked up, using the cross bar and springs on the 99, and attach the cross bar onto the 95 however you can. Remember the springs need to be extended when open, and the safety straps need to hold the hood. Chain can be used instead of cable. The springs are also extended when the hoods closed. That’s how they’re able to assist opening. Springs need to be mounted so they’re fully extended when hoods open and closed. The chain works good, being able to adjust the length and once correct cut it to the right length. Shorter stretches springs farther, too short and hood won’t close. Need to experiment to find the right length.

xsetra Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    AACB9FB6-CDF3-456F-A77A-45DF81A53375.png F39C0C37-1F9A-46FA-A990-FAFDF0F82953.png I think a chain from each side of the T bar to the same bolt holding the safety strap would work.

xsetra Thanks this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I got lucky with the weather today. NO snow. I was able to remove both hoods and get the 95 hood back on the 99 chassis. I did cut out the center beam on old 99 hood so I could use the bolting plate in the 95 hood and attach the 99 spring assembly.

The main hinge bolts were different sizes. I had to cut the 95 bolts to remove, so I had to run and get 2 new bolts to fit hinge bushings. The 99 hinge bolts were too big in diameter to fit the bushings in the 95 hood. I'll post pictures later.

Tomorrow 1-3" snow forecast temps in the mid 30's. I hope to finish transferring light buckets, plastic bezels and hood mirrors if it's not too windy.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.