Fleet air filters...anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by paul 1052, Jun 15, 2011.

1. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    The air cleaner hanging off the side of the hood has to slow the air down and direct it down the pipe, that is restrictive. The air box used in a freightliner uses the same technology as Nascar uses there is a high pressure zone in front of the windshield. it actually gives the air a helping hand into the housing.
    What I always ask is warranty, if it fails will they cover down stream damage, It was stated it has a 3 year Guarantee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    volvos suck air from the side's of the hood (low pressure zone) not from the back of the hood (high pressure zone) like aero freightliner's. but that aside if the FILTER is less restrictive the turbo doesn't have to work as hard to make boost psi. so a less restrictive air intake system will yeld more hp and better mpg.

4. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I have the older Volvo 770 (98) and have often wonder if some type of scoop mounted on the hood air inlet would help like the Fleet Air Filter did by putting more air pressure into the filter box?

I think the Freighliner has somekind of chrome looking scoop box on their hood that I thought about getting one to retrofit to the the Volvo.

I even thought about plumbing in a 2nd air filter box under the hood with a new inlet since changing to the Fleet Air Filter showed me how restricted the stock OEM paper filter was in that tight air box.

5. DonJuan360

DonJuan360 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have wondered the same thing .adding a ram air affect what'd you see the results .

have you seen any improvements since adding the fleet air ?

6. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    3/10ths to 4/10ths mpg on my 1998 Volvo 770 with Cat 3406E that has PP Box, Exhuast manifold, turbo, FASS, Walker Megaflow mufflers and Microblue wheel bearings and rear ends....worth it to me because the Fleet Air Filter paid for itself in 3 weeks.

Filled up yesterday and got 8.93 mpg my last dedicated run.

7. DonJuan360

Nov 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    how heavy do you run usually ? I'm never under 80,000 pounds . if I cannot find k&n then I will get the fleet air

I tried the manifold on my 610 which has a volvo 465 .no improvement it was from another company not PP

8. DonJuan360

Nov 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    also which you like better walker or Donaldson?

9. GP1500SC

GP1500SC Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2011
    mo
    Ram air = drag
    Unless you get it under your bumper or in front of your windshield where it already is you will likely see negative results.

10. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    There are a lot of things that you can do to make the motor more powerful, there are a few things you can do on an old unit to make it more efficient. An air filter is not one of them. like I said I have ran a lot of units on the dyno and if having no air filter does not affect hp it can not affect mileage. The one that I found interesting was that when the exhaust was removed the HP came down.

11. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    True ,some engines need some back pressure to operate at their optimum.
    Not nearly as much as they get from most exhaust systems so a high flow usually does improve performance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.