Fleetguard Coolant Test

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Diesel Dave, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Before, I Always dumped In enough to put it in the green. And I didn’t have any trouble. But, as I look at it now a-little deeper than when I was rushing around trying to get the truck out the door, I may have been wrong and the white “test” area is where fleetguard wants it, since the letter Test are green meaning “just test” no addition needed. And the big green area with service means to add. So I dug around online. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/s...fs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15626.pdf

The Fleetguard PDF says to replace filter (with DCA) at normal service interval. Any thing in TEST, do not change filter, anything in precharge is replace filter and add 1 bottle of DCA/SCA.

So know we both know!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    How many years are you guys going between coolant changes?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The filters have 4 or 5 layers of thin sacrificial metal, once it corrodes, due to being low, it releases additives. It’s good for fleet use, change it once a year and forget it. I don’t like them, one more potential leak. Had my hose go bad, Took it off. If you put one on, don’t forget shut offs. I think they’re a PITA.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I used to do mine, every year, the way you did, pure, 60% distilled 40%. It was cheap insurance,but overkill. I’ll say my water pump lasted 850 k on a 425 Cat. WP plate wasn’t even rusty. Mechanics claimed it was impossible, must have been changed before. Lol I’ve gotten worse about it. Currently at 4 maybe 5 yrs on Final Charge. I plan on a new radiator soon, will flush and fill with final charge, again.Already have 10 gallons bought 1/2 price, last year.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    The last time before this time, I went 4 or even 5 years. Had a new radiator core 4 row 5/8 dimple tube put in last when it was done. I have always ran all CAT filters, the filter for the coolant, I’ve changed every other service.

On the test strips, I only bought a the small of 4 cause they have expiration dates(usually one year from purchase).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Rideandrepair and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.