Flexible ELD

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Chris M., May 26, 2018.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    I have a unquie situation regarding ELDs . Besides the fact that I need one, I need one to where I can show up, unplug there eld and then plug mine in and drive away. I just need it to work for a couple of Peterbilt trucks. Last few times I have done fill in work, I can't get connected with there's or I cannot get a login made in time for the situation. Last 3 trips I have had to resort to paper........fine an dandy sure but I don't need to get popped even though I'm 100% legal.

The Garmin looks super appealing, no contract and stores it all on the phone or tablet. The reviews are a 50/50 but are not constructive so not sure if it is operator error or the system. Would love to have the ifta reporting capability. Do not need gps capability, I don't use one.

Any information or recommendation is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've got the Garmin and I'm as happy with it as one could expect from someone who didn't really want to give up paper. Only had a few minor issues:

1) It's bare-bones, and doesn't have any special exemptions such as short haul or the 16 hr.

2) When making annotations, it won't let me use punctuation or special characters...so instead of saying "No violation per §395.1(o)" I have to say "No violation per 395 1 o". I use an html editor to clean it up before sending it to the carrier, but roadside won't see the cleaned up version.

3) When you stop, "on duty" isn't always provided as an option to switch to manually. When that happens, simply select another duty status and edit it back to "on duty". It asks for an annotation for any edits, so I usually just say "Stupid ELD" or if I'm in a good mood simply "Oops".

4) About once per week it requires you to back up the data onto a USB. I bought a heavy duty one with a dust cover and simply keep it on my key ring.

5) It is a "local transfer" type device, and as such you can't email your logs to the officer like they seem to prefer. They need to have a special (secure) USB drive or some sort of special (secure) Bluetooth device. That USB drive you've been backing up your data onto won't be recognized in inspection mode, and your (or the officer's) phone won't connect either...for security purposes, it's looking for a specific type of device that I guess is only available to LEO's. I found this out through a series of emails between myself and product support following an inspection where we were unsuccessful at transfering my logs...so he just viewed them on the screen. He said the failure to transmit the logs would be an OOS violaton the next time, but again, neither one of us knew it wasn't supposed to connect with just any old phone. I carry a copy of the email with that part highlighted right next to the ELD instruction card in my permit book.

Other than that, it's been working great.

Chris M. and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have heard it logs actual coordinates and if you move the truck more than 3 feet it will log coordinates change. or its a rumor ?

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's a rumor. By regulation it cannot use gps for movement data. Only location data.

Will GPS-derived data be allowed as a substitute for data that cannot be readily obtained?
    Will GPS-derived data for mileage be allowed as a substitute for data that cannot be readily obtained from a vehicle electronic control module (ECM)?
    No, the ELD must be able to monitor engine operation to automatically capture required data. A GPS is not integrally synchronized with a vehicle’s engine, and cannot be a substitute for required ECM data to comply with the ELD rule.

Now that said, it can get movement data from the ecm. Most companies have it set to 5mph, but thats configurable from 0 to 5 mph. If set to 0 any movement should trigger a duty change.

6. OT John

OT John Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    If I am following your question, you wish to use your own ELD device on a different carriers truck?
    Thats not going to work out to well under ELD....AOBRD it will, but that goes away in Dec.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.