Flipping up trailer flaps..

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Agtrucker, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    How many of you flip up your flaps when backing into a pile? I flipped mine up for almost 3 yrs at my last job when ever I backed into a pile/commodity shed (hauled mainly ag commodities so some loads went through coal chute) Anyways never had a problem.
    Started a new job late last summer(now hauling aggregates) and for the couple months before layoff had no issues. Started back 1st of May and have had the flaps run back up on the trailer tires (especially passenger side) 8-10 times and finally last week it tore through the hole for the J-hook. I dont notice where I'm doing anything different in procedure than before.
    They were a decently heavy flap, 1/2"x24"x36. They are old Mack truck flap, I hated how they looked anyways as they didnt match with the MAC trailer nor did they match in length to the center flap.
    Anyways, I ordered some new MAC flaps. 1/2"x24"x40. The extra 4" will now match the length of the center flap but I'm still wondering if they are going to run up on the tires occasionally when dumping eventually tearing out the hole again. Or will the extra 4" put the bend in the flap lower on the tire thus harder for them to get run up on the tire? I asked the parts guy when I ordered but he didn't have a clue..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Used to use bungees to hold em up when backing into a rock/dirt/sand pile. I drilled a small hole in the flap down low to hook the bungee.

Also, if you'll cut a "V" in the top of the holes before you put the new ones on, it might save a ripped flap. It allows them to slip out of the pinch in the hanger easier without damage (usually). This of course only works with the hangers that pinch the top of the flap.

bigguns Thanks this.
  4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I never cut a v but I would make a notch so the flag could slip out if I hit a curb or pile. Just snug the bolts and you are good to go.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. gwilli89

gwilli89 Light Load Member

May 4, 2016
    Illinois
    I have NEVER lost flaps on my frameless dump trailer, and never flip them up either....just back her up and dump. I do, however, somehow ALWAYS manage to lose them on my hopper bottom. No clue how. It's never consistent when they go, and never anywhere you would think it would happen.

6. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Appreciate the responses, I get what you're saying but I'm not crazy about cutting into the mounting holes right off the bat. I think I'm going to see if the guys in the shop can fab me up like a 6x12" square that I'll just bolt up on the back side of the flaps then they won't be able to get pushed into the tires

7. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Don't back so hard into the pile. I leave a little space. When a loader tells me to get ON the pile I just tell him he will need to hold up my flap while I bolt it back on.

8. fuller

fuller Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    The only time I'd ever have to flip up the flaps, is when backed onto one of those asphalt pavers that you actually back into against the tires.

However, other guys are always tearing off their flaps, when backing or dumping.

The ones that don't tear off our flaps? Simple... We don't run them at legal height. We run them high. Running dump flaps higher off the ground here than permitted isn't a big deal to even the inspectors. They know it's either a high flap, or no flap at all from when it gets torn off at the first dump of the day!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.