float gears or Double clutch ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by fireman451, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    I have a new truck and i suck terribly at double clutching with it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. p47

p47 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
    central mn
    i know this thread is older, hopefully someone will see this. i was talking to a owner of a trucking school yesterday, nice guy, said he's been trucking since the beginning of time. he took me into the classroom and was showing me different parts of the truck, s-cams, break valves, ect. he had a transmision on a stand opened up here and there so you could see inside. and i asked about floating gears...and he said he always use the clutch to shift. and showed me some gears and a shift fork that were very worn after a very short period of time. it wasn't the outer part of the gear that was worn but it was the inside cogs(not sure of the actual terminology). anyway he said you won't here any grinding when the inside cogs are not meshing . so you o/o, mechanics what say you? thanks from a wanabe.

4. MrBill103

MrBill103 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Central PA
    Amazing how much you and I think alike. "breaks off and smooths down those disagreeable parts" Like reading something I wrote. lol

lots of character and PackRatTDI Thank this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    If there's a pedal there use it.

6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Not that floating gears is bad, just some people are not good at floating gears. One of the operators at EZ has been driving for over 25 years, still can't float a gear without rakin scrapin and grinding! But this same individual was driving the Link-Belt crane when the transmission came out....came out!!!!!!..... Hit the dam ground. Man following him said they where "barely rolling "coming to a red light, all of a sudden the light turned green, reverse lights come on, then the crane jumped he said, that was it. Trans hit the pavement. That was a 13 speed. He did that not once but twice! Owner ended up selling the crane. Some guys really do need an automatic. No pills for that, 20+ years of experience and still a throttle jockey.

7. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    Super truckers double float the clutch.

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  8. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    No people who want to save the left knew especially in traffic double clutch ;) If I double clutched every time I had to gear up and down I would have a knee placement at an early age.. Not all of us are OTR drivers and local drivers are in and out of the city's all day long and stuck in traffic all day long... Ever drive in Toronto? If you have you will know how much traffic we have, do that 5 days a week all day long :)

9. Leon Phelps III

Leon Phelps III Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Los Ageles, CA
    Well. I feel that floating is easier but requires more precision. Most of these guy on here float. They better. But I think clutching is safer for a new guy. YOU CAN DO MORE DAMAGE TO THE TRANNY BY IMPROPERLY FLOATING RATHER THAN CLUTCHING.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  10. Leon Phelps III

Leon Phelps III Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Los Ageles, CA
    SURE WISH I FINISHED TRAINING! LOL

11. Nitemare13

Nitemare13 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    I floated taking my cdl test back in 99.
    Road tester didn't a word about it

Leon Phelps III Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.