Flying J gives VISA the boot

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Pur48Ted, May 19, 2007.

1. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Friggin J, Flying Hook, ....??:biggrin_2551: None of the big National Carriers use them---pretty much the Independents if buying fuel, I eat & sleep there---only way they get MY $$$!:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Well I gess I will have to give the flying hook the one finger salute on buying anything there. All I carry is visa. I do not carry much cash maybey 20.00 or less but that is once in a while.
    I have not even been out on the road yet but will be getting out there in about 60 days just need to pay off a couple of bills and get a cash reserve incase of small pay checks. I may stay at a flying hook lot but will probaly never buy anything from them unless the company that I work for uses them for fuel.

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

You better pack more than a 20.:biggrin_25523: Weigh your truck and a couple of tolls and bam your broke!:biggrin_2556:

5. BOBSF350

BOBSF350 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2007
    i will say i dont plan them me and my brother have a small shop north of detroit we do cylinder heads and build motors and sheet metal intakes we do alot of NHRA sportsman racers stuff.

we take visa/mc
    and we are thinking about dropping it we pay 3% for the transaction on a regular card but the cashback and flyer miles cards we get hit with 8% and it seems everybody has one these days well really about since the first of the year i think Visa has been flooding the market with these things .
    I wouldnt throw the J on the CROSS for this is money and we all try to make it and we all try to save it

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Instead of dropping the cards as a lot of people don't carry that much cash, up your prices and then give a cash discount like the J was doing up to now. On your notice of cash discount mention the reason why you are giving the discount.

Consumers are in a catch 22 pretty bad here because many/most places now days no longer accept checks. And if you don't have the much cash on you to make the sale you have to use the card.

7. no_kicking33

no_kicking33 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2007
    It's interesting to see the responses from people that don't have all of the facts. Flying J is very bold in their decision to drop Visa. Hopefully today, since it is the deadline for Visa, you will understand the reasons for the decision. It will benefit the customers as well as Flying J, guaranteed.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There are places that take checks, and for the merchant it is vary little cost-wise compared to a 3% or more transaction fee. The check is faxed to a clearing house, your account tapped immediately, they give you the check back marked void for your records.

As far as why are they dropping Visa, a while back some chains dropped Discover because they were charging a higher handling fee to offset the cash back feature of the Discover Card. You ban one card at a time and offer the cash discount for not using the others.

9. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    The only benefit I see, more $$ for the J, which is what business is about. Truthfully, I don't use Flying J for ANY reason, period. But, I guess they do have their own reasons. And here are a few, not all...opinions included.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2007/May07/052107/052307-01.htm

10. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I like keeping an eye on bank and credit card processor fees where I work. Credit card processors have various ways of billing out rates and fees... and with the volume we do, we get a flat percentage rate for all Visa and Mastercard transactions, regardless of type of card or debit or credit. But you have to have the volume and the initiative to negotiate with your processor.

In addition to the percentage on credit cards, there is a transaction fee, too -- small, but significant if the volume is large.

With checks, again banks differ. Some banks charge a per check fee when depositing... and those scanned checks? Check your fee per scan. It can add up. Plus, you have the inconvenience of dealing with returned checks -- NSF and checks drawn on closed accounts.

My personal preference is credit cards for smaller transactions... and checks from pre-approved sources on higher dollar purchases.

But ultimately? Just give me the money. :biggrin_25525:

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Amen to using the money.

I bought a large purchase at a Sapp Brothers, wasn't fuel, but could have been, they didn't give me a discount and didn't force the use of plastic, or cash.

I think it was ten years ago, I wrote a check at a business for farm supplies and caught a glimpse of my balance on a screen, the reason for faxing is to get the money right now, and all places charge a fee for returned or dishonored checks. The machinery is in place to do immediate fund transfers using plastic or paper. Using financial procedure to steal is against the law be it bad check or with credit.

My present company uses EFS for fuel and EFS checks for expenses, I have used Com-Data as well with another company, I much prefer the credit card to either of those, Com-Data gave me lots of violations because they got the time zones wrong, and I've stood around too much trying to get fuel paid for with EFS, it's not very convenient at 2 in the morning to screw around trying to get a bank to do it's job.

Again, my favorite form of payment is green money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.