Flying J in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Dave_in_AZ, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Canadian bacon is just ham. But chewy.
    Those breakfast things cost to much.
    I'd rather eat a BIG AZ burger from the micro wave.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Youngtrucker91

Youngtrucker91 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Loves on 83 has them on the rollers 24/7

Balakov100 Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The mustard in the packets is the only way.

sealevel Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    @Dave_in_AZ

He knows the proper etiquette for corn dog eating.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    There are instructions with photos contained in the thread.

7. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    I realize this original post is ancient, but I want to clear up the misunderstanding about what Valley Fever is.

It is a fungus that you contract simply by inhaling spores. It can also be transmitted through blood donation - if you are a Valley Fever victim, never donate blood. The CDC lists the pandemic range of coccidiodmycosis as Southern California, all of Arizona, bottom half of New Mexico, deep southern West Texas and the Chihuahua Desert of Mexico. Cases have been reported in Utah and Colorado by people who have never been to the above noted places.

There are two main forms of infection.
    1. Common respiratory that can be as mild as minor flu symptoms to full on fungal pneumonia. The spores become parasitic and form fungal balls in the lungs causing long term problems. Most people only get a very mild respiratory case that goes away with treatment and is never a problem again.

2. Disseminated Valley Fever. This is where the fungal spores enter the bloodstream and infect your internal organs, joints, spine, brain stem and soft tissue is literally consumed. There is no cure, only treatment during attacks that hopefully beat the fungus into remission. The cases of full disseminated Valley Fever are actually quite rare.

I was infected in September of 2006 near Presidio, Texas and almost died 3 times over the last 12 years. It has sent me into liver and kidney crisis requiring Hospitalization, destroyed my joints, taken 40% of the vision in my right eye, and worse. I function in some level of pain daily. It's now moved to my hip. I was told in 2010 that I would be lucky to live 3 more years.

Valley Fever is a serious enough disease that the US Government attempted to weaponize it in the 50s. Don't take this lightly or assume that it can't really do you permanent harm or kill you. In 2008 I met three other women all diagnosed the same year as me. I'm the only one left alive today.

8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Haven't been to the J in awhile. So I thought I would go and get punished this morning.

I wasn't disappointed.

They have new card readers. And of course they don't work.

And of course you have to wait 5 minutes for the old tweaker inside the store to do everything they can think of before coming to help the customer.

Place is still DIRTY. Fuel pumps are still slow.

So 18 minutes to get 50 gallons of fuel.

Just a hole.

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    The J, like Nashville and Atlanta, never fails to disappoint.
    I'm at the J in Oklahoma City. And yes its exactly what I expected.
    The secret is to lower your expectations, and sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Most times not, though.

D.Tibbitt, Bakerman and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Well the card readers at the TA in Aurora Oregon are AFU. The one just has the Z smashed, which kinda sucks if you need to input your state like ARIZONA. The rest are just afu, and fubar.

But the new ones at the J are the state of the art ones. They have them at the Pilot in Junction, CA where the 395 and 58 collide, and they are bad ###. But, alas, we are talking Flying J Phoenix, one of the known entrances to Hell.

So from now on I will always be prepared for the card readers not to work.

D.Tibbitt, ralphbohm and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Are you talking about the Card Readers on the Fuel Pumps? Haven’t had to use one since I returned to OTR in December...

There’s an App for That... ;-)
    (Well, at Loves & P/FJ anyways)

Dave_in_AZ and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.