Flying J /Pilot wifi

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Butcher2018, Mar 11, 2019.

1. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Yep they did, but you see your 4G plan on your cell phone belongs to you, while routers at PFJ belongs to 10+ people who using same exact line. So yeah of course pilot wifi will be slower:)
    Go and make hotspot ob your Verizob free and see how well it will perform.
    Besides that, how you can compare 100$ A YEAR vs 100$ A MONTH service?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I am aware that is probably the case, but on this day and age, my data is so fast that if the WIFI were to be faster it would be by a fraction of a second. Verizon is really fast, especially on an iPhone. Newer phones have access to more cellphone towers than older ones.

You are forgetting that Pilot/FJ WIFI is ONLY available at their locations, which is a very tiny fraction of Verizon’s entire coverage. This makes their WIFI very expensive in comparison.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    "Unlimited Data" is NOT unlimited in regards to hot spotting. If you need to hotspot a laptop or roku device to your phone, you will quickly hit your hotspot data limit if you do a lot of video. I think Verizon limits hotspot data to around 15g/month (depending on plan), and will immediately throttle all data back to a miserable speed unless you buy a $35 data boost which adds 5 gb of hotspot data.

One trick is to get an HDMI out adapter for your phone or tablet, then you can watch video on your tv without depleting your hotspot data limit

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You’re right. No cellphone company has “true” unlimited data, but Verizon is the only company I have ever been with that has practically unlimited data. I’ve done T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless, AT&T, and Verizon. Verizon and AT&T’s voice/data coverage makes them more useful for OTR drivers or anyone travelling nationwide.

Verizon will throttle you after 75 GB, but only “in times of congestion.” I’ve been with Verizon for over 2 years, and they are the best. They’re not deceptive like AT&T. So far, I have never been throttled by Verizon in a way that was noticeable. Maybe if I was in a city for long periods of time using lots of data, I would experience it. I use Netflix and YouTube almost everyday on my phone. No signs of throttling.

If you don’t want to use your hotspot data, but want to watch your TV using your phone data, use an HDMI cable that transfers your phone’s image to a TV. There is also “screen mirroring,” but I don’t remember if it uses data or hotspot. Screen mirroring will only work on “smart TVs.”

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Reason for edit: Image/Spelling/More info.
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    How in the hell you plan is 35$ cheaper then they have on a same page for me???

Attached Files:

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    I got an unlimited plan with Verizon, with a hotspot...and my phone as a hotspot. They 'trick you' as to 'unlimited'. You only get 15 gigs a month at 4G. Since I have my phone and hotspot it's 30 gigs. However, IF I watch netflix/slingtv on just my phone...no 'hotspot' it's completely unlimited, meaning no 'data usage'. But, to your topic. I would NOT spend any money at a truckstop 'wifi'! Why, A) if it's between 0700-1700 you should get good reception(as long as you are close to the building) B) like 'A' you ARE close to the building and a trailer isn't 'blocking' the view from the roof of truckstop(that's where the wifi antenna is). C) what are the chances of you getting right next to the building anyways? lol You should be working...and if not, going for a '34'....best to NOT sleep and just wait, plus 9 times out of 10 they are 'reserved' anyways. D) I've wasted about $30 so far this year(2019) on getting to a truckstop with 18 hours off, buy wifi(with points) and be completely letdown by either poor reception...or great reception for about 3 hours MAX...and then...might as well go to dial up! Truckstop wifi is a joke! Tell him to get his money back...he's getting ripped the F off by them!

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are concerned about credit card problems build a dead end checking account with a credit card attached to it. Put cash just enough into same when you choose to buy anything with the card at that time prior. That plus leaving specific instructions to bank Account Services people to essentially ensure that account goes to zero and only zero if someone tried to abuse a stolen credit card number etc. Keep a dollar or two in it when not in use.

That way nothing is connected to your core billpaying and household accounts. Remember you can always use the account number and routing to send funds to it from anywhere that supports the SWIFT Fed Wire system which is essentially the entire free world.

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Here’s your new plan. Use RBC, open a US account (from Canada) transfer money as needed to cover your new VERIZON Hotspot plan. Utilize a cross border drop box address that has a REAL address. Not a box number.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I accidently had “4 lines” selected. The $95 is for only one line. If you want 4 lines, it will be $60 per line.

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Verizon has 3 different unlimited data plans. I have their highest unlimited plan.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.