Flying J Restaurants? What happened

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jdnelson1999, Apr 21, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The last time I did that they charged me over 10.00 for two thin slices of roast beef, a spoon of aujus and a dab of tater.

The message was loud and clear, not welcome there. This would be in Jersey.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Then a couple years ago the kwiktrips did the same thing. Then the TA in Lexington VA put in IHOP replacing one of the best restaurants left in the country. Haven't been back since.

4. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    A couple of reasons why almost all truck stop buffets are gone. 1st because you guys would eat and eat and eat it was like you guys only ate once a day at the buffet and the majority of you would primarily eat the most expensive item on the buffet the meats and aviod other items. Also because due to rising costs of groceries the prices they would have had to charge to have kept the buffets and kept them profitable would not have been accepted by you. Despite what most drivers think I can tell you 1st hand that truck stop restaurant margins are low and truck stop restaurants don't see the same amount of business as other restaurants which doesn't help offsetting low margins with high volume.

5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Old flying J.
    Steak on the buffet every Friday night.
    Never missed it.
    Those days are long gone.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Back in the day, the Hook was the stop of choice to fuel and eat for a company driver. 100 gallons got you a shower ticket and a voucher for a 24 ounce t bone steak dinner with all the trimmings.

Brettj3876 and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    the Flying J in Rapid City is/was a franchise store, or just a Pilot dealer. Back in the day, it was Crows I90 truck stop, and had great food. My nephew cooked there for quite awhile. So anyways, the owner can do what he wants.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Instead of hitting the J in Gibson Pa go down 1 more exit to Harford and go to PennCan diner 24/7

MIT Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Thier Roast beef dinner is hard to mess up. Maybe try that if you get stuck in a bad spot with only Denny's again. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.