FMCSA--Speed limiters are coming

Discussion in 'Other News' started by kemosabi49, Apr 28, 2022.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Everyone keeps talking about the FMCSA's propose rule limiting trucks to 65 mph. But the proposal actually specifies 62 or 65 or 68. I'm sure they threw that 68 in there to lighten the opposition to the rule. The ATA is looking at the 65 figure. But the National Highway Safety Administration (NTSA) has been pushing the FMCSA on this for a few years now, wants 62 MPH. As do the Safety Nazis- Public Citizen, PATT etc, and the Teamsters. I have never seen the FMCSA publish a proposed rulemaking that has multiple options for one rule as this one does with the 3 speeds listed. I think it's likely that they had already decided what the number would be before they even asked for comments. Time will tell. In the meantime, the only thing we can do is flood the FMCSA with comments. Not just you and I, but get your family and friends to comment as well. You can bet that the ATA and their buddies are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    When are they going to start removing all of the speed limit signs? On the interstate

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Gotta go ol skool-bring back the GMC Crackerbox cabover.
    Have to give some of these drivers the FULL ON,NO HOLDS BARRED EXPERIENCE!!;)

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I don't think this will go over like they think it's going to. The ELD pushed many to their limits and I have a feeling this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    People need to voice their opposition to this, that's about all we can do. Friends, family, whoever, this will effect alot of people not only us drivers. Have them make their comments to oppose this ridiculous idea at:
    Regulations.gov

7. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Us canucks are pulling for you because we know darn well the CTA will call for limiters Canada wide and use USA as a example of how good it works by cherry picking a few numbers somewhere.

8. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Will this be the breaking point of enough is enough if it goes through set at a ridiculously low speed? Like 62? Will everyone stand up and say enough is enough? Park it. I for one will not be making any changes to my ecm.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I will. A few decades ago if scabs tried to cross they got "assistance" to help them join us in solidarity. I'm more than willing to help in that regard too.

10. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It’s not the speed. It doesn’t matter how fast they’re going, if they’re all chained together with speed limiters it’s a rolling cluster#### with no end to it. Imagine the frustration of driving an empty truck that puts over 700hp to the ground and you can’t get away from a loaded Megas pos. I’ve been living it for a few years now in On/Qc. If you run 20 and 401 you WILL drive the entire 800mi to the border at Windsor with at least 3 other trucks no more than 20’ feet from you. Make that more like 6 from Bowmanville to London. Then throw a million pissed off 4 wheelers in the mix. How in the name of #### is that safe?

11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So how are they going to limit your truck if it has a mechanical engine?

Have they discussed what the actual fines will be?

Way back when, driving was associated with freedom. There still is a sense of Freedom, especially if you have your own authority, but that window is closing with more and more regulations.

Unfortunately this business is government-regulated, and constantly and continually they will just add more and more regulations until your freedom is gone and your handcuffs just get tighter and tighter and tighter.

The regulations will increase and no one in this business has any power to do anything about it.

The government destroys everything it touches.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.