Fontaine Revolution.......

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 217flatbedr, Sep 8, 2012.

1. 217flatbedr

217flatbedr Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Who has been pulling a Fontaine Revolution for a while now? What do you like/dislike about the trailer?

This is what my situation requires:

- A Conestoga tarping system
    - Lightweight, durable 48' trailer
    - Versatile tie down system...Can the sliding "turtles" be chained at an angle? Can chains be run through the strap pockets?
    - Able to withstand end loading by a forklift with small wheels carrying upwards of 3K onto trailer/floor...How well will the floor of the Revolution take this?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Ohhhh SHC where are you...

jamespmack and CAXPT Thank this.
  4. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    End loading, with a forklift is no problem. Turtles are good for chaining up, any angle forward or back, but not to the side as they cannot be locked into a sideways position. Chains can be anchored through the strap holes, the same as the rub rail on any other flat.
    Drawbacks are dirt and gravel getting into the grooves, for the turtles and chocks. I use a long snouted blow gun to clean them out. A leaf blower would probably work, also.
    When hauling a 40 foot container, you must use a 4X4 under the rear of the container and a 2X4 under the front, or one end will be off the deck, violating the securement regs.
    I've had my Revolution H for about 2 years, now.

5. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I pull Revolution 52 - a 48' all alum flatbed over 16 months. It pretty light and strong (especially the rub rails). The hump in the center makes it pretty #### high making it one of the highest fb deck ever. The hold down channels for optional (J hook type) that runs across the deck collect craps are hard to clean. The rope hooks that runs along side the sliding winches are pretty useless (sharp edges cuts rope) and gets in the way of last winch on road side. Wrapping chains through the sharp edges of strap/stake pocket "holes" (no spool) doesn't sit well with me - FMCSA rules dictate that the chains must hooked/tied back to the chain to get the full strength rating and just having the hook set to the "slots" are supposed to lessen the strength rating by 50% or not. The grated floor are cool though since it keeps me from sliding on even when wet or icy. Never the less the floors are super strong and durable. No cross members under deck suppose to get better fuel miles but I never noticed. Didn't have any problems but never did figured out how I'm suppose to access the wires if there ever is any problem with the electrical system.

jamespmack and SHC Thank this.
  6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I agree with the other 2. i have a revolution 52 as well, and the trailer is made pretty stought. The rub-rail is the best design as far as strength, but they lacked in the design of the strap/stake pockets since they have a bit of a sharp edge to them. I have not had any problems with cutting a strap or nicking a chain (steel chain vs alumnium, the steel chain wins) but I have been thinking about taking a grinder a "rounding" the edges... but it hasn't been a problem YET.

I don't have a problem with the arch in the trailer or the height as my truck has a very low 5th wheel and I run 22.5LP tires.

The only thing i wish they did offer was a lift axle, which they don't for some reason.... but all-in-all a good trailer. If you are planning on adding a fast-trak type system, then this is the best trailer for it. The siderails are perfect for it and the strap holes work great.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. -insert name-

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    SHC pulls a 48 if I'm not mistaken.

the 53 foots are good, but wish they had a strobe plug in on the back for my strobes. I won't haul anything oversized with one, either preload a 48 with it or find me something else.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    southeast KY
    those silly strip taillights are hard to spot at times in direct sunlight

jamespmack and -insert name- Thank this.
  9. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Due to the center hump, I had few issues when I was hauling 40' container or a time I was hauling sections of overhead crane parts (which was an OD load). I had timber on the rear bottom of an 8' high container to offset the gap created by the hump which raised the overall height to over 13'6" in CT destined for CA. OD crane load was "floated" down the middle of the trailer deck (length wise) and 45' "I" beam piece was lay down the middle diagonally length wise to offset the pedestal section that was over 11' wide. There was no space to lay dunnage underneath that piece at both end and winded up rubber mat up front and a dunnage under the rear section. It turned out to be a "walking" nightmare to keep that piece in place. Working in a limited space beneath upper piece - belly wrap (straps + chains) barely worked to my liking. We can be pretty creative at times but extra obstacles I really don't need to test that creativity part of me.

Anyhow, I recently order 2013 Aluminum 53' Benson Low Step Pro (34.5" lower deck height) - build dates supposed to be Oct 19.
    There're just too many loads that I've missed out on because the loads were too high or not enough deck space (LTL) and flatbed rates are going to the crapper. FB loads are running too heavy, too cheap, cheap tarps and pretty dead on water in winter. SD have more lea ways and versatile for LTL/odd size loads.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  10. -insert name-

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    We have some of those same trailers, very easy get on from the back.

11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    My trailer has wiring for strobes. It just has to be ordered correctly from the factory.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.