Food for thought

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by WingRider, Aug 22, 2010.

1. WingRider

WingRider Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I will probably take alot of heat for this, but I've kinda been bitin' my tongue, but cant hold it any longer.

While I agree that this site is an excellent venue for information and staying intouch with each other. For all you guys that are always bragging about ALL the miles you are getting and how great it is here at W/S, and trying to get other drivers to come over to W/S. For every driver that you "convert", he/she will be taking miles out of your pocket. Im not saying that you cant say youve been doing pretty good, but I for one am not intersted in recruiting people just to take miles out of my pocket.

Having said that, I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    ????????????????????

What The heck !!!!!!!!

4. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    good point wing rider and yes there are gonna be some pot shots taken at you for sure but I agree with what you are saying....in order to keep miles you dont bring in a new guy for them to hire, there are recruiters for that....well done

5. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    Having run my own business, isn't the idea basically, more drivers means they can handle more freight? Sure there might be some give and take at first but in my experience, this is the way you GROW a business....no?

Not giving you any heat here but perhaps you might look at it from the other side?

Just my 2 cents.

6. WingRider

WingRider Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Salem, OR
    chralb, I see your point, but dont necessarily agree. Its kinda like finding a great fishing spot and then telling everybody about it. With freight as slow as it is, I would rather keep/protect my miles.

7. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    well at Celadon when I was there they kept adding drivers at an alarming pace. And we just sat around I lost more miles week after week. yes the object is to grow and provide a better service for your clients but growing too fast is a bad thing. A moderate influx is good because no company will stay in a static period forever. People come and go, freight picks up and slows down....but when freight is slowing down you don't starting adding more drivers in my opinion you take care of what you have and when things pick up you'll still have drivers that are happy

8. Mike_NC

Mike_NC Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I for one don't fear competion from other drivers. It takes more than working at a place to get the miles done. You have to prove yourself worthy to dispatch. I get your point though wingrider. Heck, this is the intenets and anyone can say anything they want....doesn't mean it's true.

9. Dave'sgrl

Dave'sgrl Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Just more food for thought...my hubby has been around for years and you being a newbie and all you might want to rethink what wingrider has posted. There is only so much freight to go around.

10. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    It's is up to the company if they over hire or not and it is out of the drivers hands. W/S seemed to always have a good reputation for a OTR company and seem picky about the locations they hire. Don't forget the huge turn over in trucking, so a forum is not going to put you out of a job.

11. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    I hear ya but I think W/s is well aware of it's situation. They've built a new terminal, bought some more trucks and are hiring drivers. But they are also very picky about the drivers they hire. I have no stats but it would almost seem that for 10 that go there, only a couple get through it.

But still, there are those that live in yesterday, those that focus on today and those that plan for tomorrow. I'll put my money on which one I think W/S is. This is a close knit company as far as I can see and I hardly think risking driver retention is part of "thier" plan.

OK....LOL...that was 4 cents worth....LOL

rocknroll nik and Super-G Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.