Food grade question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by JReding, Aug 15, 2017.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Can someone here answer one regarding what I saw yesterday morning?
    I was driving out of Seattle southbound in the usual heavy traffic. A tanker came up on my left and passed me. Didn't concern myself with it until I saw what I assume was raw milk splashing out the edges of the dome occasionally, and then I noticed trails of it running down the side of the trailer.
    I was in another truck, not my own, and the radio doesn't work. There was no way for me to get over to try to get up to him, and he was outpacing me pretty well. There were no company markings on the trailer, otherwise I would at least have been able to figure out where to call.
    I'm guessing the driver failed to secure the dome, and this load was probably rejected once it got to it's destination for contamination?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If it was Grade A for a creamery they might reject it. If it was going to a cheese plant or other food packaging they might try to slide it by.

born&raisedintheusa and JReding Thank this.
  4. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    So, did he forget to secure the dome? Those loads aren't vented are they? Even then, I'm guessing it would be some kind of elaborate secured venting setup?

5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Probably didn't secure the dome lid. Or could have had a bad dome lid gasket.

JReding Thanks this.
  6. CaptainGoatYak

CaptainGoatYak Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Bemidji, Mn
    Yeah, so far as I'm aware food grade doesn't vent unless you're unloading (or loading through the discharge pipe.)

7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I use an old milk trailer to haul def. they don't have vents. I have to open the dome every time I dump. He probably just had a bad seal, there isn't really any other way it could leak up there. I doubt he took off with it open.

JReding Thanks this.
  8. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks.

I'm sure it wasn't open, but I'm wondering if maybe he got distracted from the time he closed it, and maybe forgot to secure the swing bolts(?) Whenever there was a surge, about a half a gallon at a time would splash out. Could that much come out with a bad seal?

9. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    Yep, sure could. Especially if the seal came loose or got twisted as the dome was closed—that could leave a good sized gap even if everything was tightened down.

JReding Thanks this.
  10. TaterWagon#62

TaterWagon#62 Medium Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    WNY
    One of the things I get to do regularly is open the hatch on my full tank and drive across a field while draining my load. So I do have some practical experience here.

If the driver failed to secure the hatch he would have gotten a heck of a geyser at first stop sign he met. As the load surged forward and built against the front of the tank "Old Faithful" would have blown. It would be hard to miss.

A gallon spraying out every once in a while argues strongly for seal damage or loosely tightened dogs on the hatch. Just enough to vent some product each surge.

A remote possibility (anything is possible, lazy is lazy) is he got over loaded and the product spilled over the top but the drains were clogged and he didn't bother to take care of it. That would lead to liquid sloshing around the hatch tray and splashing out.

Then there is the combination of the two: Small leak filling the tray which had blocked drains.

In any case his trailer should have been piddling on the road if he was leaking from the hatch or vents and his drains were working.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Oh, he definitely had a mess running down the sides of his trailer. He had the stuff covering the side of his trailer that I could see probably 5 feet across, top to bottom.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.