For Real???

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by fredh, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Ok if the author was wrong, no wonder the confusion.
    I understand what you and several other carriers like your employer are doing. I agree that is a good model to getting consistent deliveries. My carrier at my old terminal was similar as many rigs rattled back to haul GM freight every load. When the same people are delivering to the same dealers most of the time it seems to generally be a good model. Compensation needs to be high in order to keep and attract experienced help. The productive management of rail yards is also an important key to keeping people wanting to haul out of those yards. When the 3rd party yard management makes it difficult to get damages signed off on in a timely manner and other less than productive practices, this drives away many experienced haulers, including those like myself who will not wait for an excessive amount of time routinely.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EvertonP

EvertonP Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2022
    We have a direct link to our area rep.
    No parking available we call in
    Dealership won’t sign we call in
    Dealership takes too long we call in.
    This is what I mean. The pendulum is starting to swing back in haul away’s favour and so many people are against it. I get it. GM has done some shady things in the past so once bitten twice shy, but for someone who’s been doing this , there is only upside right now

Jubal Early Times, ducnut and Banker Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The article says differently, it clearly says "GM equipment, GM employees." and not the ProFleet model they've been doing.

5. EvertonP

Sep 10, 2022
    without going into specifics that will get me in trouble I can say they definitely aren’t looking at purchasing 400 units. They mentioned how the Tesla plan failed and they’re working around it.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Gotcha. Sounds like the guy they were quoting was running his mouth about things he didn't know. Not a first for a corporate type.

Banker Thanks this.
  7. EvertonP

Sep 10, 2022
    Yes. As it is now the dealers cant comprhend how this is working. They ask if we are hired by the contract carrier , or if it’s a spot buy. The Pro fleet model is another experiment they’re trying completely separate from us. Like I said if this goes even half as good as they hope , all haul away guys will benefit across the board.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  8. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    And I'll add this, too:

No one, top to bottom, at the big3 I dealt with, and that's both at the manufacturer and their logistics provider, has the slightest clue about the nuts and bolts.

An example: Make all dealers accept night drops, so all local units are same day delivery. Blank stares resulted when they were asked if they understood multidrop loads ate time more efficiently than a hungry fat kid demolished a bag of chips.

As a general rule they also had great difficulty understanding why a dealer with a very heavy column 3 distribution was hard to service.

It was frankly mind blowing how completely clueless they were about it.

D.Tibbitt, Banker and EvertonP Thank this.
  9. EvertonP

Sep 10, 2022
    Well considering my GM liaison is 30 years old with a binder of certificates but no real world experience this is still going better then expected. Lol.

ducnut and Hammer166 Thank this.
  10. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Yeah there’s a GM dedicated acct over here. Flat pay weekly with a fuel surcharge. Get paid whether you load everyday or load once a week

Banker and Tall Mike Thank this.
  11. EvertonP

Sep 10, 2022
    What company is that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.