For Those Who Went From Paper Logs to Electronic

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Raiderfanatic, Jul 7, 2012.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some companies will email you your daily recap summaries on a monthly basis, but you have to request this. You need to save elog by one means or another recaps for tax purposes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    The last tanker co. I drove for had elogs, that was the 1st time I had elogs. There are so many negatives with elog, it will make a safe and curtious driver into an idiot. One rule I have is to never pass, a truck with a get on ramp coming up. With elog it forces you to be wideopen all day, you have to get max speed for every second your driving. The 10 hr break is now at a customer, no restroom, no food, restroom for #2 is now a bag,nasty. Dispatch was part of the problem, no time to stop and pee, or fast food in route. The mcp200 shuts down-goes blank real handy, you can,t change duty status, will keep you on duty, giving you a over 14 hr violation, when your not even driving. Arriving at customers, you have to wait on the system-very slow, trucks are now backed up. System is blank when fueling, can,t log that ya fueled. Usually going home for a 34 hr reset, I would be over my 14, Would tell dispatch I,m going to be 1 hr over my 14 before I left, they don,t care. I,m dispatched on a load right after my 34 hr reset. There are alot more situations with elog, very stressful, etc. Cpm is down,all trucks are slow 62,63 even at 65 once ya slow down for construcion, you can,t make the time up, with a 70mph truck you can make that time up, if ya keep your butt in the seat. Percentage pay is needed with elogs. Where,s the health study, since elog took over. Drivers are taken 10 hr breaks on the side of the road, side streets, etc, eating a can of beans and crapping in there truck. Elog is a joke, thank GOD I have drill rig exp. I,m going to the oil fields.

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I prefer paper, but the company I'm with is going to elogs in the near future. They claim there are lots of errors on hte paper logs in general. This allows them to hang the driver with more ease. I see it that they are going to renting lots of motels, or going to be forced into learning how to schedule trucks a lot better.

25(2)+2 and Lilbit Thank this.
  5. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Expect more wrecks at your co., more stess on everybody, drivers,planners, dispatchers, the whole co. in general. I have a pal he ownes a investment co., that ownes 7 tank co.s. I drove for him about 7 yrs ago. The co. been in buisness since 1922, he says elog effects the whole co. in a negative way. Elog creates alot stress on everybody involved with the co. Even the customers are unhappy and streesed out, they have to shut production lines down, because the tanker can,t get there until tomorrow.

6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    o no they wont

you will sleep in your cold or hot truck and you better not idle more than 3minutes, or you will be fined and fired

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No thats not going to happen, I drive a day cab at this time, but they like to schedule it for 16 hour days. That all ends when the elogs go in. Thats sounds like a May Truck policy, that is why I left them or at least a good part of it.

When the 11/14 hour clock is up if I'm not at home they rent a motel by there own policy.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  8. SmoothShifter

SmoothShifter Defender of the Driveline

Sep 10, 2010
    Feura Bush, NY
    I've driven for 34 years, I love to work, and I can figure out a paper log. The only time I need my hand held is when I'm walking a lovely lady on a beach somewhere.

eLogs are a tool for a company with a lot of power units who don't want to have to hire people to babysit the mistakes made on paper. Your mistakes are caught on the spot.

Once again, not all paper log people are outlaws, but instead like to make a lot of "fudge" from what I understand in this 29 page tirade of mind numbing diatribe.

I'm on track for about the same coin on eLogs. And if you can't make that money in less than 70 hours a week, you have the wrong job. The supertruckers who run 1700 miles non-stop (BS) may be raking it in, but there's gonna be a day when the ditch monster pulls you in for a visit. It'll come.

And a BIC lighter and some fluid too? I watched a buddy of mine burn some loose leaf logs up once. He wasn't toasting marshmallows.

What a moronic statement.

We have impeccable customer service at my company, and most of my fellow "meatheads" do a bang up job of supplying your food. We're HACCP certified, and have a good technical knowledge of what we are doing.

Stop with the name calling. If I heard you say that at a truck-stop diner, you would be face first in your mashed potatoes. Since I'm a meathead and all.

If you started when you were 16, then your paid for truck was at the very least, bought from Daddy.

But hey, if you are going to drive without a license, why bother with logs at all.

How can the government force an outlaw to do anything, besides lock you in the pokey?

I'm sure his CB chatter is as full of BS as his trailer is.

I like walnut fudge best. You guys are making my sweet tooth hurt with all this talk of dessert.:biggrin_25522:

I read all 29 pages of this thread. And I came to the conclusion that it would be best for me to get out of the truck, open the toolbox, grab my mallet and repeatedly bash myself in the head until the pain goes away.

daf105paccar and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  9. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
    it falls under being free vs being controlled

seems like drivers are yearning for the nanny-state to be controlled and monitored and make less money

in 20 years these guys will yearn for the free days when they could just have elogs, by then, they will only be able to drive 8hrs with a mandatory 1hr lunch break, cameras all in the truck, sleep monitors to make sure they go to bed, food monitors to make sure they are eating healthy, probably even a liquid monitor to make sure they dont pee the bed

10. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
    they also dont realize there was a time if you werent current on your log book, or if i light went out, DOT would give you a minute to straighten things up

but since "The Beast" has now implemented this CSA nonsense, thereby commanding drivers to jump thru hoops to make a living, some of us are all too willing to jump, run and roll over

11. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Oh lordy. You know the truth is far simpler. We did it to ourselves.

Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.