Ford vs GMC

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SoG444, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can get that in an F 650 or 750.

Aamcotrans and ZVar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    How so? The ZF S547 that is in my F250 has a 5.72 1st gear ratio, and a 5.24 reverse. The E4OD has a 2.71 1st gear and a 2.18 reverse. The average converter has a multiplication ratio between 1.9- and 2.5:1, which means even with that torque multiplication, it's STILL in the same ballpark as my manual transmission to get rolling. The difference is that my manual transmission can crawl in that low ratio (t-case in Lo for another gear reduction) around the field pulling a hay wagon without going faster than the pickers & stackers can work...idling along at a GPS-indicated 1.3 mph. Transmission stays nice and cool even on a hot day because it really isn't working hard. Automatics build heat because of the constant slippage in the torque converter, not to mention you've got to be riding the brakes to maintain that low speed even in 4Lo. Torque converter slippage is no substitute for low gearing when there is actual work to be done!

4. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    Between the two I would go with the Ford with that 6.7 diesel heard that one's pretty good.

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

This is exactly why an AMT would be so much better than traditional TC autos.
    Give us a 10 or 13 Speed already !!

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    And a plain old manual transmission is SO much better than even the best AMT. Automatics are reactionary. They can't see what's up ahead or prepare for what's about to happen...all they can do is react to what just happened. When I want the truck to shift, I want it to shift. I don't want to have to wait for it to decide conditions are right for it to shift.

And no, paddle shifters on an AMT are NOT the same. You still have a computer that will veto the input you're trying to give if it doesn't think it's a good idea.

And another thing, while I'm on the topic of computers overriding the driver, is the "push button" ignition and fly-by-wire transmissions. Wasn't all that long ago, people were dying because their car would get stuck WOT and they was nothing they could do. Computer wouldn't let them shift the transmission into neutral to prevent engine damage. Computer wouldn't let them shut the engine off, either, as they were driving down the road at WOT. All of my vehicles have a mechanical linkage, and I can shift them into or out of gear any time I desire. They all also have a keyed ignition that I can turn off at any time, speed, or throttle position. Throttle sticks wide open? Key off, shift to neutral, stop. No computer saying "you can't do that" as it takes me for a ride.

K.I.S.S. is an engineering principal that seems to have been in recent years.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I assume this is what you meant to say, and if it was I for one agree wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately we’ve since entered the era of “lazy” and “stupid”.

KB3MMX and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Yup...stupid phone...if my fingers hover too close to the keyboard as I type, it deletes the last word I typed. Sometimes I catch it...sometimes I don't.

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

M more on my ishift is fully unlocked. It's not fleet lockdown junk.

When u want a gear,i can select it.

When i don't feel like shifting, it goes into auto mode.

Having The Best of both worlds is a very nice setup !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.