forget trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by highwaytrucker0808, Jun 4, 2010.

1. highwaytrucker0808

highwaytrucker0808 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2009
    well im gonna share my experience i got a class a license went thru school well the only companies that would hire a rookie were a real garbage dump called werner and a heaping trash pile called swift well also after reading all the scuttle butt on the boards im convinced trucking is no way a good way to go too many inconsistencies and way too many lies so my advice to newbies DONT GO TRUCKING GPO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GET AN EDUCATION funny thats what im doing just enrolled in school gonna get my jd and pursue a career in law not sitting waiting for a truck or another lie but making a living and living nice so kiddies like i say dont waste time or money on trucking school or a cdl it is a huge waste of time and a losing move:biggrin_255:

truckerdave1970 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Landstar2206

Landstar2206 Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    I agree.Im going to try it out for a while just to get back the money I paid to get my class A cdl....Too strict of rules for truckers and thats why only 25% of truckers actually keep a stable job and the others get fired off and lose their job and wind up back home with no job.......Im thinking about being a Weight and License Highway Patrolman so I can make truckdrivers lives miserable....lol

4. LodiKen

LodiKen Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2009
    The Road to No ware.
    Sorry it did not work out for you.

5. Landstar2206

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    I agree.Im going to try it out for a while just to get back the money I paid to get my class a cdl .Im thinking about being a Weight and License Highway Patrolman and so should you so we can make truckdrivers lives miserable lol jk

6. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Highway sorry things were so bad for you- but just going back to school and getting an education is not always going to work out in today's economy either. Most place want 3-5 years experience in your ''new'' line of work and with the job market flooded from the last 3 years of layoffs, slowdowns and closing-it's easier said than done. I am not saying that driving is for everyone-it's not. It's a toughass lifestyle with ALOT of bullpucky along the way. But there are some new folks on here that are very excited about their decision to get their CDL A and drive. There are some that are jumping in with both eyes open and have done their research and time and others that think driving is ''an easy option.''
    No different than my career choice (nurse)- would I recommend it to others-that would depend on that person cuz trust me I have delt w/ my share of crap thru the years (and still do in my job now) but I would at least feel them out to see if they understand the reality of the medical profession. Would I trade it (25 yrs now) not for one second. I still love what I do and am glad I choose it.

7. Landstar2206

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    My mom does Hospice and she loves it :biggrin_25515:

8. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Must be one of the 85 out of a hundred.........

Nothing to be ashamed of............................

You will be much better off with an education.

Good Luck !!!

9. Ike

Ike Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    I know a lot of educated Truckers.

Hubcap and RAILSPLITTER Thank this.
  10. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Who says drivers DON"T have educations and then decided they wanted to switch their careers? :biggrin_25513:There is one new guy on here-used to do some type of soft ware program type work (not exactly sure) has always wanted to drive, got laid off - tried other avenues and said fork it- I am going to try what I wanted. He is asking all the right questions and getting in with both eyes open.
    My husband has college education but as I said previously- the job market is TOUGH. If it's something you wanted to do but never did and the opportunity is there and there are jobs-why not????

Ask all the college grads with 100K plus in student loans with master degrees how much they make at McD's or slinging beer and wings at the local eatery?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  11. bowen012

bowen012 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2010
    Fort Chiswell, VA
    College isn't always an easy fix either. I'm doing the opposite as the OP - Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies w/ Teacher License as well as an Associate's in Police Science. Turns out that in the recent economy Virginia (as well as most other states) is making extreme budget cuts in the education department (100,000 teaching jobs being cut for the upcoming school year). State budgets are also in horrible condition, which effects law enforcement (in addition to other federal, state, local government) jobs which results in a hiring freeze at best, all the way down to jobs being cut.

On the other hand, education is always a good thing and I wouldn't want to be the one who dissuades you from achieving higher education, just don't expect it to be an instant solution to your employment needs. I know a lot of people with degrees who are out of work. I'm not saying truck driving is your answer (it may not even be mine) but the trend in my area is that the vast majority of available jobs are going almost exclusively to Nurses and Class A CDL holders.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.