forgetting to lowering landing gear...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FrankieCarbone, Mar 10, 2020.

1. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I watched it live on the security camera few months back, an owner op's wife did this with his 379. Just happened to pull up that camera's feed and the truck rolled forward, trailer slid right off and slammed into his frame, trucks stops dead and the driver comes running full throttle into frame and basically leaps into the cab lol. I'm not safety and that was a good lesson to learn so I kept my mouth shut.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a company long ago stick someone into my tractor and said we both run this thing around the area on a load or something I forget.

I heard and watch him fidget and say "Aint got all day" from my side of the cab and stopped before leaving the yard.

I told him. "Out"

why?

7 hours on this thing. You aint got all day? I aint neither.

Bosses were stumped. Turned into a two day mess. Things like that tend to poison the well.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Dropped my full tank off the fifth wheel onto the frame before I caught that I had left the gear up while unhooking once in a dairy.

Something to be said for slowly pulling forward when unhooking.

Didn't help that it was 330 am and I just woke up out of a fog after a 6 hour wait to get in. And than once in they wanted me unhooked which is usaully not required.

Aired up the suspension and cranked down the landing gear until it touched. Than dropped the air and went foraging for crates to get lumber to crib the trailer back up to fifth wheel height with the air suspension .

30 minutes later I was Snug as a Bug in my sleeper.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve done it once. My Father taught Me to always drop landing gear first, as a habit. Did I listen? After that I did.

PE_T, tommymonza and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Good habit. Your dad was smart.

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. FrankieCarbone

FrankieCarbone Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2020
    Orlando FL
    you know what i should have thought of that, since it was on the frame i im pretty sure the fifth wheel would have caught the trailer if i would have reversed, but since i was in that "oh ####" moment, i just jumped out and started cranking

i should also mention, when this happened i was in a rush, it was the last thing i had to do before going home, not saying its a excuse, in my career as a truck driver i have always been in that rush situation, and this is the first time its happened.

8. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    The Clinton's used that phrase a lot in there testimony... worked then.

HoneyBadger67 and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    did u see what bill said in the tell all. said the affair helped his anxiety

10. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    I’ve been lucky enough to catch it while it’s still on the tires.(Less cranking)

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  11. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Good to know.. Next time I get anxious I'll reach for a Tampa Nugget and look around for a host. LOL

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.