Former carrier reported 2 accidents on my background check.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TankerYanker36, Apr 27, 2023.

1. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    A couple of things could have happened, but usually when this happens, the king pin itself is what craters the fifth wheel handle, either when the driver missed the king pin really badly and it slides down the side of the fifth wheel a hits the release handle, or the king pin climbs on top of the fifth wheel and somewhere in the process falls of on top of the release handle

TankerYanker36 and FLHT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I know its unrelated but one time I had a trailer in a drop yard at a paper plant (one of those drop yards that resembles the surface of the moon) and I hadn't really looked at the 5th wheel yet, I had just started cranking up the handle and almost had it all the way up and then

KA BLAAAM!!!!

I actually felt the ground shake and so I jumped back and ran like a sprayed roach not knowing what just happened. I had safety guys from the plant come running out to see what had happened. Turned out that the kingpin on the trailer had gone on TOP of the 5th wheel plate and was almost in the slot. As I was cranking it up it slid over just enough to fall down where it needed to go but in doing so, made a DEATHLY LOUD NOISE that scared people 100's of yards away.

We all checked the equipment and everything was fine. Shook the safety mans hand and everyone parted ways. I learned my lesson that day. Check the #### 5th wheel BEFORE you crank up the landing gear.

Sorry guys, I'm the opposite of a driver who pretends to be perfect. I'm like the perfect example of what NOT to do sometimes. I tell others "If you see me do it, it's probably not recommended."

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    TankerYanker36 Thanks this.
  4. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Great experience thanks for sharing. Yeah that's one of those scary situations where you feel like your whole carrer could possibly have just ended haha. Crazy. Glad it got sorted out though. Yeah I remember winding the empty chasis down to get it low but it's possible that it wasn't low enough. Also, at railyards, sometimes you have to back in at an angle to connect because of the limited space.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.