Former May Drivers Lounge...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Feb 5, 2013.

1. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    All new trucks have automatics. The wonderful 13 speed Eaton-Fuller transmissions are still in the "not new" trucks, but those are rapidly approaching their "use by" dates.

Safety is a religion at May, to a fault. The tractors are well maintained, the trailers are a different story. If you're 11Western, you'll be on the dry side mostly, and many of those trailers are simply way too old or red tagged. They'll repair them forever, and so 'old trailers' is one of every May drivers' top complaints. The reefers tend to be OK.

Safety is fine at May, but their staff are utterly annoying. That department is way over staffed with stuffed shirts and is out of control. You'll be safe though, even if it kills you.

Lightside Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. secorp

secorp Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Lakeland Florida
    The only thing about Schneider is that they hate fat people, go to Schneider and you will be purchasing a fat man apnea helmet. That is if you be fat. May will solo long before Schneider Will.

4. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
  5. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I just met a may trainee. He dreads it. His trainer, like most, aim to have the student as long as possible for the miles. He was on his way to 5 weeks. I've heard a lot of trainers aim for 4 weeks. Schneider does 2? And they do most of it in the yard? Yeah, the safety part of the company is super annoying. Top speed is 59 and 61 cruise, SLOWEST trucks on the road. If you go faster than 65, expect to get phone calls for driving too fast down hills. They watch you like a hawk in the yards, during business hours. Honestly, you have more choices than just these 2 companies. I don't know why you aren't looking at Interstate, Gordon, Knight, Systems Trans, etc. Lots of higher paying, much faster trucks. I just met a may driver last night from my school... he can't wait to leave.

seamallowance and Lightside Thank this.
  6. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    I don't know why I was looking at just those two. In that first part are you talking about May or Schneider? I am calling Gordon tomorrow actually. I applied at Systems but will have to give them a call too. I don't really want to rush into anything. I had to do all the drug tests and hair tests for Schneider yesterday.. was a nightmare. The health place took ages..made me wait and Schneider even had their hours wrong because the other day I went back (over 30 miles away) and they were closed.

7. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    May training is 3 to 6 weeks, depending on your performance, based on your trainer. A lot of trainers are doing 4 weeks, I've heard from several trainers. Even if you drive, back, corner, and shift better than your trainer, depending on the person he is, he can keep you 4 weeks if he wanted to, because 46 cpm and 5,000 miles is better than 36 cpm and 2,500 miles.

Doesn't schneider have a bonus program where you have to work an X amount of months to earn your bonus? So in a way, you are stuck with them unless you give up your bonus. That right their is a turn off... to be under contract. I am not going to drive for .31 cpm + bonus. In that case, May is better... but remember, the slower your truck goes, the less you make. Faster, the more money.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    seamallowance and Lightside Thank this.
  8. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    I didn't ask. I am new to all of this so it's been kinda confusing and overwhelming a bit. I hear May have good trucks but I don't like their no idle policy and the speed limit setting. That and their terminals are apparently not very nice (showers etc)

9. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Yeah, terminals are worthless. If you want good bathrooms, internet, and lounge, go to a truck stop. Trucks seem to be less than 2 years old. You don't get any additional pay, like many trucking companies out there, to deal with refrigeration. I've had problems with mine and wasted several days so far messing with reefer trailers. Speed is slowest in industry... only trucks I seem to pass are other May trucks. Idle policy... I can't believe they are charging drivers for trying to get a full 8 hours of good night rest. It goes to show, they care more about saving $12 dollars a night than for you to get a good nights rest to deliver safely. But if you can't find a job with those companies listed above, May might be the only option to go with. If you don't mind camera and audio facing you 24/7, you can go with SWIFT, they start-pay .36 CPM now...

10. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    Are you working as a reefer or with May Trucking? Nah not going with Swift and that sounds a bit extreme. Starting pay isn't really a concern right now. Just after 1 year OTR first so that I can apply to a better company later. Less time in a truck with a trainer the better.

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    How do you know that "most" trainers aim to keep the student as long as possible for the miles? I never did that. If I felt like a guy was ready in a couple of weeks, I'd make a arrangements for him to solo out. My trainer at May solo(ed) me out in 9 days. He was a trainer at May for years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.