Former Publix driver with walmart phone interview

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by TREYDEE007, Sep 15, 2016.

1. TREYDEE007

TREYDEE007 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2011
    TAMARAC, FLORIDA
    Hello all,
    I'm Trey and I have been with Publix for almost 16 years. The last 4 years I was driving for them, but due to a few small incidents I was taken out of position. I am currently working in the warehouse as a forklift driver, I have a 3year sentence in a none drive position before I can post for driving again. I am a great driver but had a couple incidents that just happened to close to one another, then a bent aluminum rim took me out of the game. Publix is a good company but like most companies, they are changing for the worst in some cases. They use to value there drivers that's why it used to take 10 years to be a driver, that's not the case anymore. They are turning over drivers like crazy now a days, driving for them is very stressful and the work load is unconsistant. They preach safety but to make good money you gotta hustle, we are home every night but must call in everyday to find out what time we start.

I'm considering leaving Publix for Wal-Mart, but Publix has the better retirement package. I like the fact that it seems like walmart treats there drivers good, Publix used to be a family type environment but now it's cutthroat. My highest pay per year driving for publix was 78k plus 7grand worth of stocks. I just need some insight to whether I should stick it out despite a 35k decrease in pay or move on.

I'm open to answer any questions about Publix but would really appreciate input on my next move.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    HI Trey, I'm saddened to hear about that about Publix. Whenever I was in Fla. we always shopped at Publix, and all the people there were great. ( not to mention their quality foods) Usually, good people means they are happy at their job. I even thought of moving to Fla. for a while and my ex-gf, also a truck driver was going to apply for a driving job, but like you say, there was a waiting list a mile long. Can't help you on the Walmart thing. Drivers here that work for them seem happy. I know Walmart treats their driver's well. How long that will last, is anybody's guess. If a good company like Publix goes bad, Walmart could be next. BTW, those "incidents" will haunt you for ever. Best of luck.

TREYDEE007 and Mudguppy Thank this.
  4. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    You are really losing $35K a year for that? ? ?
    If that's really the case, I think you already know what you should do. I would already be knocking on WM's door....just sayin'.

Blindmman and TREYDEE007 Thank this.
  5. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hey Trey

After reading Ur post and giving it a little thought I'm of the opinion that U may have a hard time getting hired by Wal Mart if Publix took Ya outta the truck after " a couple incidents "

Good luck to Ya and I hope it all works out

TREYDEE007 Thanks this.
  6. TREYDEE007

Nov 30, 2011
    TAMARAC, FLORIDA
    Thank you all, Publix is still a decent company to work for but it's a far cry from what it used to be. The incidents that I had were things that won't show up on my license, I have no tickets or violations at all. It was things like minor scraps and stuff like that. My license is completely clean, no citations either.

201 and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  7. Jmfahey

Jmfahey Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Apply and see what Walmart says.
    Www.drive4walmart.com The main issue I see other than your incidents is waiting for a DC in Florida to have an opening,when they do please understand its not what you may think.There are a lot of us who have left home(Florida) to work at Walmart so we can transfer back to Florida after a year so you may need to do this also.

Blindmman, TREYDEE007 and georgear1084 Thank this.
  8. Jmfahey

Jmfahey Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Sorry,you already have a phone interview which means you have applied to a DC opening.They have already reviewed your app by now and if you were disqualified they wouldn't have called you.

9. TREYDEE007

Nov 30, 2011
    TAMARAC, FLORIDA
    You were right sir I didn't make it past the phone interview which is fine by me, I will continue to hang out until I'm able to drive again for Publix. Working in the warehouse is decent and I have a awesome schedule plus I'm getting OT, 50k to drive a forklift ain't so bad lol.

Blindmman and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  10. TREYDEE007

Nov 30, 2011
    TAMARAC, FLORIDA
    If you guys have any questions regarding anything pertaining to Publix I'm glad to answer them.

11. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    As long as operating the forklift is local and not OYR...LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.