Former TQL employee: ask away

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by JosiahS, Jan 26, 2021.

1. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Sure, not disputing that at all. My point is that "skin in the game" can take a bunch of different forms.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JosiahS

JosiahS Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2021
    TQL would like brokers to make at least a $400 rip per load. That doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with their weekly goal of $4000 in margin. They care a lot more about the $4000 weekly goal than they do about making $400 rips. Obviously if you’re getting $400 or more rips each load, hitting your goal is easier.

Their department that monitors phone calls and their carrier services department are different. I can’t remember exactly what carrier services does but they are supposed to be the drivers advocate. Paying accessorials is still largely up to the individual brokers discretion. In very cut and dry cases carrier services may override the broker but I can only remember hearing of that happening a few times.

As far as the average rip, the $300-700 was an average from what i can remember. As we both know, lanes change with seasons and you can go from making bank on a lane to taking a lose really quick, especially around holidays. It was around holidays that I remember the broker I worked under taking huge loses to cover loads, and then “sticking it” to the drivers after the holidays.

I don’t doubt there are good brokers like what you seem to be at TQL, and I think I’ve mentioned that there are seasoned brokers who are real professionals there.
    And i certainly agree that being a broker is an extremely hard job.

My issue with TQL is that they run a boiler room, are very unprofessional in how they force their trainees to call the same businesses who don’t want their services over and over, and that as a company they generally have a contempt for the very people who make them possible, drivers.

4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I dont haul much 3pl freight and nothing for tql but when I do I can tell the broker is relieved when I call to hear an experienced truck owner without a tude or a foreign accent .
    Some brokers I've dealt with id jump at the chance to work with again but the company im leased to customers come first and I get it .
    Contract freight provides me with a secure predictable business atmosphere but I get that 3pl providers are needed also and dont have an issue with them making a profit .
    Its a free market and I sure as hell wouldn't want uncle Sam involved....supply and demand .

5. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yep. And there's lots of ways for folks to add value in this industry. I beat the pants off of TQL on service. They smoke me on capacity of loads and trucks. Your company provides direct customers with quality work on demand. More than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

6. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    To me it's real simple.
    It's about the knowledge and investment in your business.

Now these fly by nite trucking companies have done alot of damage to this industry by hauling loads too cheap and screwing the rest of us.
    And I don't blame the brokers or the shippers for trying to get the loads moved at the cheapest price. That's their job.
    But in most cases,you get the level of service you pay for.

7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Its a little more than that , we are a 100 truck fleet that services some large food and medical supply companies on dedicated lanes on certain days on prime rates .

8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Certainly. And part of the service I provide is hiring the right folks for the right loads, if that makes sense. And I'm not disagreeing with you- I make my living based on providing quality service.

I admit that I was generalizing a bit. Was trying to get my son to sleep. Finally got the little wildmam settled down. Hopefully two is easier than one and a half has proved to be.

At any rate- I appreciate you and @IH Truck Guy both sharing your perspective here. Always nice to get other folks involved, when I accidentally hijack someone else's thread, lol.

9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Its nice to hear yours and others perspective ...I dont view 3pls as an adversary and there's plenty of blame to go around on both ends .

650cat425, Dale thompson and PPDCT Thank this.
  10. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Example...when the philladelphia riots happened i was in Binghamton pre-planned on a philladelphia load outbound back to omaha.
    Called my dispatcher and said no way I'm going into philladelphia today ...no problem what you wanna do ?
    Find something out of ny !
    20 minutes later a 3pl solved the problem...wasn't a rate I liked but the market there sucks and always will .

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    You haven't. Everybody here has shared some great info. I'm glad every different kind of carrier and broker in this thread has shared what they have. You can't put trucking in a box.

It's always fascinating to me the different ways so many people are motivated, what really matters to them, what they love and hate, what keeps them up at night, what to watch out for. Always cool to read this kind of stuff about this industry.

There are about a million easter eggs in this thread for the conscientious new owner OR broker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.