Formula for sliding tandems

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Gold_Miner, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    There is a variation for some older trailers:

1(vice grips) + x(4 lb.sledge/#whacks)/your normal BP + your weight in kilograms= approx. # of words you have the potential of inventing

flyingmusician, 3031 and bigmikectn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Agree with much. The worst is when you pu a ldd heavy trailer, and it is sealed. Off to a scale you go. I have always pretty much used 400lb per hole. One to look out for is Costco. You just never know how they are going to load.

4. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    Well all this just confuses me. much easier just to run with it and hope the scales are closed....:biggrin_2559:

When you are on the truck you will learn everything you need to know about sliding the tandems,what hole for what weight and so on. How and where to slide the fifth wheel and what to look for when you close the doors.

You will have plenty of practice.....

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  5. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    Goldminer,seriously...do you want to take a chance! your allready at the scale,just do yourself a favor and reweigh it.it only takes a few more minutes........seriously!

6. dracon

dracon Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2008
    new york
    General rule of thumb I followed at swift was, when picking up loaded trailer set the tandems at the 8th hole from the front, and drive to the nearest scale. For most swift trailers I used 250 lbs per hole, and for the older ms carriers trailers 400 per hole. your results may vary, but this is what worked for me while there. Plus what fr8monkey said, its only a buck to reweigh, and you get it back anyway when you turn in your reciepts

Zukimart Thanks this.
  7. Pfuse

Pfuse Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    La Crosse, WI
    Back when I used to pull heavy van loads I would carry a big rubber mallet just for occasions like this. Just start thumping from the back side of the trailer and move forward. It didn't work every time, but if the freight was touching the sides of the trailer, the noise would change.

8. Professional-Trucker

Professional-Trucker Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    California
    You can "feel" how heavy a load is by the gear you can take off in. The gross weight i mean...and not accurate estimate. The the feel of it.

9. Zukimart

Zukimart Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    OTR - 48
    One day they'll have a switch on our dash we flip that releases the tandems, and a digital read out that tells us which hole were in, then we move slowly forward or reverse and the digital guage tells us which hole we stopped at... be nice.. I mean hell, they have cars that can parallel park now days, right....

10. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    You don't always have to reweigh it unless your tcalling it. Most of the time your just a couple hundred off and just moving it a few holes will fix this. Depending on the other axles...

For students I will always suggest to reweigh..The more experience you get the ;less re-----weigh....I don't have the time to waste going through it more than once...

11. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    Ohhhhh ok,guess! great advice,and that couple hundred will still get you a ticket.....don't have time? lol......right

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.