Found a Potential Driving Opportunity

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RickS331, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The best way to think about the 1099 is that it’s illegal for the company, not the employee.

If they were, due to happenstance, perhaps, be audited by the IRS, they would owe the IRS taxes on your behalf as well as their own account.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickS331

RickS331 Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Is that so? I've been reading on these forums that some people are saying the IRS could potentially come after me as well even if I'm making the right payments?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You do NOT want to be audited by the IRS.

IF you were or had trouble with them and cannot stay current they will take the house, assets, bank accounts and so on all the way up until you cannot function in our economy. Again you do not want to be audited. One of the defenses to that is have a good accountant that knows whats involved in taxation with 1099.

Ive always been a W2, just a few extra deductions and roll. In the end SSA pulls my lifetime earnings and that would determine what benefits amounts are paid out when the time comes.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I believe you are overthinking this. You aren't the 1st one to be given a 1099. As a company driver, I don't think you need to make 1/4ly payments, I never did as a company driver given a 1099, as an O/O, I failed miserably at that, there's where your penalties and interest come in. As a company driver, you may just have to put aside some each week, I know, it's tough, and you may not even need an accountant, the taxes are a must, the SS is up to you. I think you're making too big a deal about the 1099. Find out the pay, where you go, what you will do, how they keep their equipment, that's more important.

rachi Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I admire your attitude but you're gambling on something you don't have any real control over.
    Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, or how safe you think you're being.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Oh, the IRS will come after you if you don’t give them what they want: taxes.

Technically, you don’t have to make quarterly estimated payments the first year, but you have to after that.

@REO6205 is also correct, you should carry health and disability insurance. It’s part of the reason the 1099 gig isn’t as attractive as it looks at first glance.

8. RickS331

Jan 14, 2020
    Well this thread is moot now. Just got texted back that they "decided to go a different direction" this is overnight after I asked a lot of questions about operations and whatnot.

"Also insurance didn't budge". I dunno what else I can to do expunge a false mark off of my MVR or to clean up with DAC Werner gave me.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, Izzy got tired of all the questions.
    Keep looking; there's plenty more jobs out there where you can be hired.

10. RickS331

Jan 14, 2020
    Hey, if that's the kind of outfit they are, I'm better off not getting involved.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This can apply to future jobs as well. Years ago, we didn't have the luxury of a site like this, and was trial and error, mostly error. Good luck, and I would stay on course to find a job that takes out the taxes and insurance. If you are going to do a 1099, you may as well get your own truck and make the BIG money,,,:biggrin_25517:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.