Found my dream truck but have a few questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BulletProof, Jun 22, 2014.

1. paintballer

paintballer Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Look MVT runs light vans and has all the gadgets and prostars. They get 7.5 to say 8.5 from the info I have found. I think they limit speed to 62.5 mph and have auto shut down after 3 minutes. So no idle time.

You need to ask him lots of questions. Idle time, setup, ifta mpg, and most of all cruise speed?

If his mpg is really that good. You need to ask him to level with you about cruise speed.

You said you needed to cruise at 70mph. I am assuming you do that 2150 mile Texas run in 3 full days of driving. Some guys can do that at 55mph. And appear legal. I could do it in 2 days. I am a team operation though.

The point is speed kills mpg. 70 is hard to do at a decent mpg.imo.....

Ps. Wendell what was your average cruise speed with the van? Ballpark?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tmtbob

Tmtbob Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Bulletproof I haven't kept up with this thread in the last couple days and in fact never even looked at the truck this was started for until now. That is a good looking truck but is high and I'm not trying to sway your opinion back to it but I did want to say that's probably a new paint job on it. I use to load cattle down the road from there every week for the better part of a decade and know they been there almost 20 years. They always been high but always have nice inventory. I knew of 2 different trucks that came off their lot within the last 5 to 7 years with a couple guys that loaded at the same place I did and they still own and run them. The first truck did have engine issues if I remember right. I can't remember exactly what happened but Jordan's didn't leave him out to dry on it at the local cat dealer in Atlanta. There was never a bad word about it and I saw him every week. The second truck was a trade in from the first deal but with brand new paint. They traded for it gold and sold it black. I don't know the quality of job they put on them cause I haven't seen it up close in a couple years but I saw it on the road last week and still looks good going the other direction down the highway. If that's the color you like and you price how much it cost to paint a 379 that price sounds a little better.
    Don't forget the emissions crap they have on them after 04 also. I would pay more for a 03 or 04 model than I would for 05 or after just because of that.
    Good luck with your hunting. I just wanted to give my opinion on that truck and the dealer that had it.

4. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I do the 2150 mile trip in 2 1/2 days. Left this last Wednesday at noon and got back Friday night about 10pm.

He will tell me anything I ask and he's not one of those BS' ers. He's just an old man making a living. He's not super secretive or anything. I just rarely see him since I've been driving and not in the shop. I'll ask him next time I talk to him though.

5. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    If it isn't new paint then they did a good job cutting and buffing. It is very clean and I'm sure the truck would be fine but I'm going to freightliner in Birmingham in the morning to look at a 379exhd they have. 18sp 3.36 rears 625k miles warranty DOT inspection. Very clean truck for the same price as the one at JTS. Going to see if it is all it's cracked up to be in the morning. There is a link a few posts above this one that has the truck in it.

6. paintballer

Jun 10, 2014
    Well that looks like 3 full driving shifts at near 70mph to me.

Hey I just don't think he is driving 70mph and getting high 6's and low 7s. With a 379 Pete. If the mpg is correct he must be cruising slower. Imo.

Unless he has a turbo3000.lol......

7. Wendell79

Wendell79 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Paintballer my cruise set at 65. Now i was running VA to Chicago and was light going out and heavy going back most time a right at 80. Sometime's a bit more, depending on fuel and amount of stop's I had on. I will Admit to running off the hills to stay off the throttle on the hills. Now I could do a little better on flat ground but when you looked at my monthly average it would be right at 5.8 constantly up till around Nov. thru March then drop off to about 5.6. I don't have the TURBO3000 but I do run steers on the drive and trailer with as low a RR as possible.(right now the general S371) Just trying to help Bulletproof out with some true number's. There is a lot of money to be saved and while driving what you want is great there is a serious cost difference to consider. I consider everyday how much I spend in fuel,and consider getting rid of the 379. I rationalize not doing it by the fact that the time I have owned it, don't owe a dime on it and the fact it has stupid sentimental value. I find those number's on MPG with a 379 and a van pretty impressive. Even light he is knocking down good number's. I assume he does not have a full fairing on his Pete. I say this as it may make a difference. Mine does not so there may be some difference there. But doubt a full mile per gallon.

8. paintballer

Jun 10, 2014
    Hey I was joking about the turbo 3000. I remember the great debate about it on another website. I am from the LowboyLarry camp when it comes to that device. Larry loved his big house Pete with the big cat. But I got to believe he would question running 65 or 70 and getting those numbers.

I am running 69 this morning and it is killing my mpg. Instead of 7.7 i am getting about 6 even. Step with only 15k on.

He will make money with that gig evend at 6 mpg. But he could get 8 with a different truck. And make a lot more money. Like you said above.

I think he should buy the the truck that his dad is going to drive on this contract. Drive it himself the first year and make sure it is in top notch shape before giving the keys to his dad.

Then take his time and find his truck.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  9. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I come out of Louisville Kentucky down 65 and over 40 to Memphis Tennessee yesterday when I drive 65mph my truck drops speed fast I end up dropping gear after gear and when I'm in the pedal lugging I'm getting 3.0mpg until I'm at 65 again, when I drive 70 the hills don't slow me at 65 I split top gear and never drop speed and at 1,600rpms I get 4.4mpg I've done it twice now once 65 and the other at 70mph I do way better at 70, Now on flat ground slower I go the better I am on fuel economy!

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Sounds like a boost leak

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.