Four in front six off the back

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Tropsnart, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Look on Facebook group. Auto Transport Everything. I have posted the clarification doucumentation for section 5520 there.

Treefork Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Keep in mind, just because the Federal rule has been updated it does not automatically apply in every state, some adopt the new rules by reference so you are good to go right away, others it takes a legislative act before they recognize the new rules. I do not think Pa has updated our vehicle code yet to abide by the new rule, they have two years to come into compliance. I will look into this further later today, but I am 99% positive we are not allowing the new overhang and overall length limit yet.

crb, Hammer166, Terry270 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    This is true, but didn't the bill include language forbidding enforcement of the old lengths? Not that it matters to half these revenuers, fight it in court is the typical response, even if you show them they're wrong.

Edit in 5520, highlight is mine:

Tropsnart and Terry270 Thank this.
  5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    image.jpeg

6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    As usual you are right Jack, my only question would be what is the grace period for states to come into compliance with this to allow for retraining of their officers, etc? I have not had time to look into if Pennsylvania automatically follows Federal rules or if we need to adopt them first. I know with speed limits the Feds had to threaten to withhold highway trust fund money to get us into compliance, same with some other rules regarding our interstate toll bridges. Pa can be hard headed, and with a Democrat governor and Republican controlled state house almost nothing is getting done in Harrisburg right now.

At least with the highlighted section of 5520 the OP should be able to get the local magistrate to dismiss the citation, a pain in the arse but better than being stuck with a citation you didn't really deserve.

Hammer166 and Treefork Thank this.
  7. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    That would appear to answer if there was any grace period for the States to come into compliance. I hope H&A has been successful in getting these citations dismissed and stricken from the record, it will help others who have to also go to court. Thank you Banker!

P.S., being as H&A is one of the founding members of the Autohaulers Association of America, you would think the AAHA webpage would have some insight and clarification on it for us. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they took the initiative along with a few other key players to start a trade association for us car haulers outside of the ATA car haul committee, but the AAHA needs some major support if it is going to be useful.

By the way, here is the link for the AAHA website if anyone wants to check it out.
    http://autohaulersamerica.com/

Treefork Thanks this.
  8. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Maybe I'll try that first, calling into to see if they will dismiss it over the phone.

Thanks for all the comebacks folks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.