Freight division.

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by jakebrake12, Apr 11, 2010.

1. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Jake, here in the southeast we hit OT after 50. Top out in 4 years. Atlanta tops out in 3 years because they are trying to retain drivers there. I too think that's too long to top out. Either you're doing the job or you aren't. We are busy as hell and routinely hit 60 hrs running city. If you could call it city. My route is a peddle run down through the country I grew up in and I love it. I know all the back roads and shortcuts so it makes it easier to get it done. I am growing tired of so many hours and having to do a log almost every day but it beats the alternative. To the guys who want to get on at Con-way Freight, just don't think it's a piece of cake. It's fast paced and you WILL work. But the pay is good and you are home every night. You actually get to see that house that you spend so much money on.

CMate Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IwaNNaFlatb3d

IwaNNaFlatb3d Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Just wanted to post about how things are going for me. Been there since May 5th and I must admit that I am liking everything so far. Out at Milton they were so short on drivers that I am already on the top of the linehaul flex after only a month. I really enjoy linehaul...and the paycheck that comes at the end of the week! Like Jake and Nikondvr say you will work!! Work you will, but you will also get paid for it. Anyone that is looking into a trucking company this is a good one to check out. There is things that you are going to deal with that make no sense but you are going to have that everywhere you go. This is my first driving job but honestly don't think you can do much better that what Con-way offers. Jake maybe I'll see you sometime. What terminal you out of? Ever make it to XMI?

jakebrake12, CMate and hank snow Thank this.
  4. lazow1md

lazow1md Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    How are things going? Everyone still busy out there on the freight side??

5. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    We are doing good here in the southeast. Our terminal has slowed down because we actually intentionally got rid of some freight that wasn't paying enough to make it worthwhile. It suits me fine because it has cut my day back to about 9-10 hours per day. I actually get to see my house for a couple of hours in the afternoon daylight.

6. oglide

oglide Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hi, some great thoughts and info on here. I never drove a truck and I'm thinking of getting into it. Coming back home same day seems better to me... Here are my questions:

What is typical dock work?

I assume you leave a Con-Way depot, then where? To another depot or would you hit a random warehouse or department store (etc)?

What is line haul?

This one is going to sound odd, but what is city (I'm assuming maybe the same as line haul but an hourly rate because of traffic)?

Anyway you could specify your gripes or what bothers you, maybe just generally?

Thanks

7. kebo072

kebo072 Light Load Member

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    thats pretty much it in a nutshell. anymore ?'s, just ask.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  8. oglide

oglide Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Perfect, thanks for taking the time to answer...

9. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    The only change I'll make is that I now love the 2 hour Friday delay..haha.. It gives me a good day of sleep since I normally stay up all day on Saturday.

Very quick, clear, and concise description of what we generally do though. I was gonna write a book about it in a reply last night but ran out of time so I deleted it..lol..

10. oglide

oglide Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    LOL! Anything is appreciated by me. It will be quite a career change for me so I want all the info I can get. I did fill out for the apprentice program in Dracut MA but I don't think I'll get an answer because I have NO experience... I used to work the back door at a grocery store and had to unload trucks. I'm sure the volume is MUCH more but I always had fun doing it.

11. Black Cow in the nightime

Black Cow in the nightime Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I would like to hear about the Apprentice program. It seems like a smart way to get in to the business and in to the company without spending $4,000 to go to school for a month.
    A recruiter at the Truckload division made it very clear that the two divisions are not interconnnected, no transfers between the two etc.. That was an important clarification since I thought all the Con-Way folks and trucks were on the same team.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.