Freight Rates and Loads

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arcana, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Arcana

Arcana Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Missouri
    We're in the Midwest and we've really been struggling to find decent paying loads...$2.00 a mile....It's been ongoing about two months. Anyone else having problems finding loads? we use truckstop.com to find loads...wondering if it's the freight that's slow or this board.

Arcana

bigbyrc Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I haul flatbed and Its been slow for me.

Opendeckin and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I think your looking at it backwards. It’s more like rates have been good for the last year and now they are headed back to where they were. New trucks and trailers are being run off the assembly lines at a record rates.

Over saturated market headed our way. Still lots of freight to chose from though. Good rates are still out there but you got to fight for them!

I’m down .03 cents on all miles in the last 90 days so not the end of the world yet.

77fib77, Mattflat362, Hurst and 7 others Thank this.
  5. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    I try and stay within every state that touches indiana and I just havent been seeing it. The rates arent bad the volume just isnt there what so ever. Lots of loads listed on the board if your wanting to head into dead areas. The rates dont justify it though.

And your right gonna be over saturated with trucks in no time... It will be a great time to buy a truck next year, lots of bankruptcies going to be going on.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    May take a couple years before the new truck guys and dealers are feeling the pinch enough to get out?

Rideandrepair and 8thnote Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Possibly. I think the affect will set in rather quick though to people who haven't been in the industry long at all and over the course of the past couple months ran out, bought a truck based on the media coverage that was going on pretty much categorizing the industry as a "Truckers setting shipping rates" etc etc.

I'm leased on to Mercer and can speak for here that in the past two months or so the amount of loads that have been outbid by other carriers is staggering.

Gonna be a race to the bottom really quick, winters gonna be extra tough.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There are so called up and down cycles but the up ones last only a moment. The problem is that whenever there is a good time, the euphoria always exceeds everybody's expectations and many hope to buy trucks and find bonanza but instead they find sweat and disappointment. Then they complain and blame it on greedy brokers, foreigners or Chicago Mafia. Perhaps, they should have not been encouraged too much in the first place. Another problem is that failures are shameful and not too many want to talk about it. But it is not going to change as people would rather brag than talk about their misfortunes.

Here it is... my outburst of platitudes...:D:D:D ha ha.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    As far as rates go in the Midwest, I deadheaded 100 miles to WI to get $3000 heavy load to PA and now I am on my way back to Chicago for $1450 from Baltimore area. With this back haul I consider myself lucky as they wanted to pay as low as 1000-1200 (friends from CHR or Coyote for instance). I'll need to do another quicky local run to supplement my weekly revenue but I am managing to stay above 2.20 on all miles. So that's my reality...

I am talking dry van.

10. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Pay for DAT.com....

Lepton1 and Rounded_nut Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Are there really a lot of guys who have gone out and bought their own trucks in the last couple of months? Really?

Is there a source for data that provides information on new authorities that I can reference?

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.