Freight Rates Dropping for O/O's?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Sep 8, 2018.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I find the 15 day average to be fairly accurate. If you have zero knowledge of any given lanes how do you know if they're way off? Guessing? When you can book money makers fairly easy like now you can skate by just fine on basic loadboard subscriptions. Where the more expensive ones really prove their worth is when the bottom falls out of freight.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Flat gets soft this time of year.

Tug Toy and Doing_flatbed_nc Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, I'm glad it works for you. I run one lane, that's it. Don't deviate from it at all.

Which means I have to work harder and smarter to stay loaded and maintaining a decent rate. It's not like I'm just sitting back and the good paying loads roll in.

There are times when I have to make or field up to 10 calls before I get what I want.

I decided when I became an independent, I wasn't going to chase rates or loads all over tarnation, that's just me.

As far as what happens when the market drops again, I have no problem with that, I've already proven to myself I can survive on half of what I'm getting on average now.

Justrucking2 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I think making or fielding 10 calls is not that bad really. Probably around average. It just is harder sitting in the truck doing it or seems that way. That would be interesting only running one lane. Definitely would have a big pulse on the ebb and flow between the two presumably cities.

Things are definitely softer then it’s been all year.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I figured that. I had been riding the fat rate wave with one shipper, most of the year. Now that that shipper has slowed and their rates have halved, I've been tooling around the load boards again.

It's not so bad. If I need it, I've got consistent freight 40 miles away @2.50 give or take and 35-44k.

Back hauls take a few more calls but it's working.

That high freight wave was nice though.

20 Mule Team, Tug Toy and 77fib77 Thank this.
  7. Bumblebee101

Bumblebee101 Light Load Member

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Today was pretty tough to find a decent load from Cincinnati to MA-CT area. A lot of crap for $2-3 a mile. I pretty much deadheaded back to the border of PA to find a good load that picks up first thing in the morning.

Same cash overall but I was empty for about 300 miles. Not sure if I like this but who wants to haul chain link fence 750 miles while it shifts all day.

I did mess up and denied a $5k oversize load. 10’ 8’’. About 35k on it for about 980 miles. That was about a 250 mile dead head and should of put me half way up NH.

What can you do. I guess the best is past us. Now try to figure things out again.

Doing_flatbed_nc Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's great. You know the one lane you run. To say those higher priced subscriptions are worthless is way off the mark though. With irregular route trucking on spot freight bad/old info - or even worse - no info at all leads to poor decisions and losing money. I got by with basic subscriptions for several years until the bottom fell out in 2015 and that just wasn't working anymore. Upgraded, saw immediate improvement and will never downgrade again.

blade, RubyEagle, thaistick and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    It doesn't work for ME, you know, in my opinion it's worthless for ME to spend the extra money on that upgraded subscription ;-)

Like I said, I'm happy you and others find value in the extra $70 (or so) a month...

Perhaps in the future if I decide to launch out into the deep blue multi-lane, cross country realm, I'll consider it.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I said anyone that knows their lanes doesn't need it. I don't need it for the Birmingham-Louisville-Atlanta triangle my main area. Sometimes I like to venture outside of my familiar area into places where I don't know. You run one lane and are totally ignorant if the info it provides is any good or not.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    What are you? Some kind of a Perry Mason online lawyer? LOL

Good grief, man, give it a rest...

You're assuming I've never tried out their "trial" option for their upgraded package, I did and I wasn't impressed.

The end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.