Freight Slowing down during the winter?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeepSouthRollin, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Freight is always slower in the winter for me. If you’re flatbed it’s much worse. I try to work nonstop in summer and take off from thanksgiving to January.

DeepSouthRollin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If you pull a dry van for a large trucking company you are hauling general freight. Much of the loads will be for major retailers. About 50% of retail sales are in the fourth quarter (October through December). The first quarter (January through March) is always the slowest.

If you want to stay with pulling a dry van, expect the need to be patient and tighten your belt during the first quarter. Sock away some money when you run your ### off.

If you want to have more steady income year round, start researching alternatives. There's been some good suggestions, like hauling milk or fuel. Cows gotta be milked twice a day. Gas stations gotta have gas. Folks gotta eat.

DeepSouthRollin and Truckermania Thank this.
  4. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    and that all depends how flexible you and or your company is last January was a very good month for me but in general all frieght slows down flat bed the most and reefer not so much because food is a 12 month buisness a little bit slow in the winter but do not freeze loads take up a lot of the slack .... retail and con sumer goods slow way down to almost nothing for first couple of months. other van frieght doesn't slow much but the influx of trucks due to consumer frieght slowdown brings rates down ....... now the big thing is there is frieght every where but it doesn't cost your company much of anything to have you sit and wait for a load that they can make more money on or something to take you where you are needed. I don't sit ever well unless I am taking a day off at someplace nice south Florida, Vegas etc. ... I probably should sit a little bit but never could stand it . so if there's nothing happening where I am I go to where I can get $$$$ paying load

DeepSouthRollin and Truckermania Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    General Freight usually slows around Christmas. Till spring when all the produce starts. Meanwhile too many reefers cutting my dry van rates. Lol

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Right. 500 Russian owned fly-by-night carriers based in Chicagoland alone and a hundred mega dry van outfits have nothing to do with that? Okay

DeepSouthRollin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Its all because of Reefers hauling too cheap in off season LOL. Seriously when stuff starts coming out of the ground Supply and Demand Drive My Rates up. As all are busy. I can’t wait till spring when they get out of my hair(what’s left of it) . Russians? They’re rates are always high LOL!!

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    500? Maybe 5000!! Pass the Vodka

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    We’re a little slower until the first of the year when the new contracts come out.

10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I wouldn't haul 90 cent frieght out of nj just to get back to California but the shirkas don't mind . check the rates out going to Chicago area for Friday delivery then check out the rates for Monday or Tuesday that shows you the impact of the Russians. .... reefers do bring the rates down for vans in a lot of places such as the east coast. ..... and stuff going out to the meat patch .... which doesn't matter as much cause ain't much coming out of there ... plus reefers take up space at truck stops. that are needed for other people.

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    All the Morons EnSlaved in their RussianBrothers Promise of a Better Life Lease/LeaseOn plan running the wheels off to not fall Yet another week behind on payments.

DeepSouthRollin and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.