freight suks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gitrdone5782, Nov 16, 2008.

1. d-man57

d-man57 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Indiana

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the auto runs aren't going to stop. don't even spread panic like that. even if they go into bankruptcy they won't stop. I laugh at all the fox new etc preaching about the auto industry "Shutting DOwn" lmao... they aren't going anywhere. Modern Bankruptcy laws are designed to be transparent and they are built for restructuring.
    Did the airline companies shut down when they filed bankruptcy??? nope, the day after they filed they were operating the same as they were the day before. Actually the best thing they could do is file for it and get the opertunity to restructure.
    So if you are hauling auto parts I wouldn't worry too much. And stop listening to the fear mongers who care more about using that fear to influence people then they do about rporting the news

4. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I have to agree with MM on this. Another example of what he is saying was a grocery store in the south called Winn-Dixie they filed bankruptcy, the news spread panic with everyone near here. The company is still going strong and in fact is in much better shape than ever since the "bankruptcy" opened more capital for them. Relax everyone the big 3 aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If nothing else Honda will buy them and keep them running.

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    besides. considering I doubt the three of them sold 20 cars collectivly this year how could it get much worse

6. d-man57

d-man57 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Indiana
    As far as the shutdowns go, i was referring to the normal down weeks they have every year from Christmas thru New Years. Some of them are talking backing down from Thanksgiving till New Years. Absolutely nothing to do with the bankruptcy talks. Besides, i don't watch the news.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
  8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

And add to that fact, January and Febuary have historically been the worst months of the year to sell a car.

And nothing is new.

9. Lil Blue Pony

Lil Blue Pony Brown Eyed Girl

Feb 22, 2008
    Well we have been at this since 1982.....started hauling bulk feed ingredients/grain then on to tanks...basically motor oil....then dry freight and now we are pulling a skateboeard........been with smaller companies in the past...historically less revenue with the smaller comapnies but still made a living.....and still had pleanty of loads to haul!!! Now we are with a much larger company still O/O and rates are better but have seen a drop in the FSC rates....there is just not enough freight to go around. Also in the past month We have lost 4 loads that we were accepted on and they just dissapear......one load just 2 weeks ago was offered at a "too cheap to haul rate"....the load didn't get covered so the rate was upped....I jumped on it...it wasn't great but I needed to get running.....was accepeted on the load and the agent calles back and said there was a problem and we could have the load for .15 less than what the load had been offered to us for......I/we said NO......long story short I know all 4 of the loads we lost went to another company or individual going through a broker who would haul it cheeper.....they can give any excuse they want...but that is what is a going on ....it is the slowest we have ever seen it....tighten the belts ya'll and hang on and be a efficient as you can.....it could be a long winter......I hope all of us are still around come spring

10. chambersmikee

chambersmikee Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2008
    palm coast,florida
    flatbed freight is bad, i'm home this week because there is nothing. why doesn't the government help bailout the truckers?...the dam banks want their money no matter what happens to me.

11. finebabymakr

finebabymakr Light Load Member

Earlier this month I unloaded in PA on a Monday and didn't load until the following Wednesday after deadheading to Western OH. The 2 loads that I turned down while I was sitting were too heavy to haul for the rate offered. The load that I finally took wasn't great but considering that I was going to deadhead home 2700 mi on my own dime, oh well. :dontknow:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.