Freight to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavel94, Jan 31, 2012.

1. pavel94

pavel94 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    How much does freight to alaska pay? Per mile? per km? per what is it? has anyone done it and what are the tricks to it? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Best pay extremely good, since typically there isn't much coming back out.

HardwareHyena and SHC Thank this.
  4. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Most freight goes by ship out of washingon, in containers, then by rail, mostly local work and flatbeds to the gold,oil and dimond mines, I was thinking about working up there, just think no reefers running all night in truck stops lol most

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  5. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    Ive seen rates slightly over$3.00/mile for tire kickers, and over $4.00 for loads that need to go now.

It really depends on what the load is, how bad they need the load taken up, and how much the broker wants to horde.

Ive done a few rounds to Alaska with a reefer, but only because I had perishable freight I needed to pick up in Alaska and bring back to the 48. A spread axle reefer is the most useless trailer on the planet for running from the lower 48 thru Canada to Alaska, and back, but Ive done it as my backhaul loads from Alaksa have never weighed much.

I have a good friend who works for Lynden who is in charge of moving loads to Ak from the lower 48 and does this for a living, and there just isnt enough to bank on for steady freight. It's hit or miss.

Most loads going to Alaska are flatbed/stepdeck, with a few van loads sprinkled in, and reefers last. The flat/step loads are mainly construction and military moves.

If diesel is $3.90 here in the states, it will be over $5.00 in northern British Columbia and the Yukon.

Lastly, there is no loads coming out of Alaska (unless you're me)

SHC and Bill104 Thank this.
  6. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Ever watch the tv show called tougher in Alaska, they did one episode on how most freigt goes by ship then by rail to major cities, for local delivery, you run reefer they didnt talk about that, it would need to bypass slow ships, cool job i bet.

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Well aren't you special :biggrin_25522:

I still want to take a load up. I figure if it pays $5 a mile going in, I can deadhead right back and still be at $2.50 a mile and one hell of a trip/vacation.

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Most platform freight pays $3 to $5 per mile, but you'll be bouncing out. On top of that you have to buy Yukon and Alaska permits as they are not part of IRP or IFTA. Linden and a couple others put most freight on barges and ferrys, as well as having their own trucks that will run up there.

I bid a light load to Fairbanks for the beginning of March, but I don't think I got it for $4.50 pm. Maybe next time, but there are too many drivers that want to go on vacation up there for a week.

SHC Thanks this.
  9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That would have been my plan :biggrin_25525:

10. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    A 30 day temp permit for Alaska is $350 unlimited milage, plus you'll have to register your trailer for $10. I have an Alaska plate on my tractor ($260 anuall) and a permanent Ak trailer plate.

Yes, the 30 day permit is more than the anuall plate, you read that right.

The Yukon goes by distance, weight, plus on top of that they charge $60 for a fuel bond. Every time I have gone thru the Yukon the milage is always the same, but my weights have varied from one trip to the next, but typicaly it has been a few hundred buck$ per round.

One trip thru the Whitehorse scale I must have had 3000 pounds of ice and snow on my trailer (that melted off before I hit BC), but I paid for it!!

The folks running the scales at Whitehorse and Watson lake are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet in a coop. The Tok Alaska coop, not so much, and be prepared for a level II or III when you arrive. There might be 3 trucks roll thru the Tok coop in 8 hours on the midnight shift, and the scale master is bored...or lonely (grin)

SHC Thanks this.
  11. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    Theres an O/O out of spokane that runs produce up to alaska, he says it has to pay good because his truck takes a beating and he mostly comes back empty

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.