Freightliner Can't Fix My problem

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by firecatf7333, Mar 26, 2017.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    After a few thousand dollars on one I had a old school mechanic replaced ecm fuse holder near the battery and it never acted up again

AModelCat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. firecatf7333

firecatf7333 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Now the truck doesn't flash quickly off and turn back on...it will completely shut off when the red light starts blinking.

There is oil on top in the coolant tank...and code shows low coolant even though the tank is full. Mechanic bypassed the coolant sensor and got the truck to start. There saying this is the reason the truck is NOW shuting off and before it was electrical and they fixed that issue...

I still think it's all the same problem and the oil in coolant didn't just come all a sudden.

4. Cecil.jonf

Cecil.jonf Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Coolant level fault wouldn't prevent the truck from starting. It will shut it down if the parameter is set in the ECM to do it

fargonaz Thanks this.
  5. firecatf7333

firecatf7333 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Update: theres alot of oil in coolant tank and oil pressure is slowly going down.. Freightliner and another local mechanic shop said the motor needs and overhaul.

Should I put 15+ into a rebuild....mechanic will give me 1 year warranty or just buy a newer truck(50k)

What's my truck even worth the way it sits? Leaning towards rebuilding it( this mechanic doesn't use OEM detriot parts). I'd like to get rid of EGR and get a tune from rebel if I do this

Or buy a used engine and swap out?

Thanks

6. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Get a Glider if you don't want EGR. I'd just buy a new truck if it were me...but a warranty is only as good as the mechanic's ability to rebuild and honor it.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Why?

How is the oil getting into the coolant? Did they tell you or are they just trying to upsell an overhaul?

RocketyMan Thanks this.
  8. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Good point! Could be headgasket...could be several other things.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's just it. Why piss away money on a rebuild if its something simple like an oil cooler leaking? I'd be grilling the shop about what they checked to make the determination that your engine's toast.

RocketyMan Thanks this.
  10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Right! Oil in the coolant is indicative of an oil cooler in a Detroit. Does the mechanic already know everything the engine needs?

If it needs rebuilt, but doesn't need heads, a step one for a 14l, egr is under $10,000, using one parts, and has a 1 year, 100,000 mile national warranty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.