Freightliner Classic A/C blowing weak!!! DYING HERE

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by skinz1234, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had it blowing somewhat cold in the bunk and then it went hot so I will look at the heater control. Im ready to take a hammer to it, LOL I appreciate the help. Is there anything else that I should replace after all the stuff I have already replaced?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    You might give the bunk expansion valve a few taps with your hammer, it just might be stuck.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  4. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Make sure the cabin filter is not clogged. Changed mine and it sure made a difference.

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Feel the lines going to the heater core and if they are hot you need to take care of that first.

As far as blowing, you can expose the outer side of the heater core and clean it but you need to take everything apart because hair/dust/lint will pass through it and the get caught on the evaporator and there's no other way to clean but take it apart and vacuum.

I was told long ago by F-liner mech. that 28° below ambient temp. they consider fine. So if it's 95° outside they'll tell you 67° at the vent is fine.

My '96 FLD blows in the 40s just sitting in my driveway when it's in the 90s idling at 1000, FYI.

You could try adding a half can to the system, but they say if it's blowing cold at all not to add anything. Don't want too much in there.

Also Crapliner doesn't put any insulation in the roof.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  6. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok update on the AC as its now blowing cold. The cab side of things it just needed cleaning and BAM, its like a wind tunnel up front. As for the sleeper it was a little spendy but things got fixed. Had to replace bunk expansion valve, both the high side and low side lines going to it and the controller plus a few other odds and ends. There was a small crack on the high side line right at the valve and everything (10 yrs old) was corroded. Now its blowing nice and cold. I appreciate the advice from everyone

insertnamehere Thanks this.
  7. FLDJR

FLDJR Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2017

What does it mean if the hoses going up to the heater core are hot?

8. Freightliner Fred

Freightliner Fred Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Clean out your AC condenser under the dash on the passenger side it is probably dirty and clogged up

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Shop.

Bark at mechanic, replace AC.

Cut comcheck over dinner for it.

Soothe shop manager yelling (At company yard, when they found out about the 1600 dollar replacement job that was completed)

Enjoy a frosty night in the deep south later.

Edit,

Do not do this. Check with your company and tell them you have no AC Period. It will cost that much roughly to replace it. If they call BS and route you to the company shop 10 states away, right. Get going yer late. Summer is coming. Unless you want to play in the Blizzard storm up north.

10. Riggs1020

Riggs1020 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2021
    I have a 2001 freightliner classic xl and the AC is only blowing out the Defrost. I replaced the controller for the vent and Defrost but still nothing I also replaced the 2 valves inside the dash and still nothing. But I don't feel any air coming out of the lines when I disconnect them from the valve. Can anyone help ?

11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Did you replace the actual heat and air conditioning control itself? They are air operated and notorious for leaking and not working. Do you hear it change when you move the selector?

Also I think somewhere in there are individual air valves that control the flappers for that.

@Rideandrepair probably knows more about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.